How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask goodwrench9124 Your Own Question
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 3432
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
goodwrench9124 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 94 Camaro with a 3.4 V6. It started out as a ...

This answer was rated:

I have a 94 Camaro with a 3.4 V6. It started out as a Manual & i put in a automatic from an S-10 pickup 2.8 motor.The speedometer doesn''t work?? Help...
Hello, and welcome to JA!!!! give a few minutes while i pull up some wiring diagrams!!!
do you know what year the transmission is. that is out of the s-10?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: The 94 Camaro Automatic is Electriconaly shifted.
the trans i put in there is mechanicly shifted.
don't know what to do to make the speedometer work.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It's a 88
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The manual trans was a gear driven speed sensor.

the S-10 trans is a magnet sensor.

is there a solution for this or just go to an aftermarket speedometer??
Which aftermarket will work also???


Ok, here is the problem, your 94 camaro uses a electronic speedometer. which requires a speed sensor, that is mounted in the trans tailshaft. now that you have installed a 1988 transmission, this transmission uses a mechanical speedo cable!!! basically the two speedo setups are not interchangeable!!!!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: Can i go to an aftermarket speedometer, if so who makes them??
not sure i would go that route!!!! that would require a complete cluster change!!!! you might be better off, seeing if you can get a electronic speed sensor installed on the trans output shaft!!!!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: Where can i buy this speed sensor to go on the outside of the trans output shaft??

you should be able to get a sensor about at any parts store. but you will have to get a sensor for a 1990 4L60 {700-R4} transmission!!!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well, i guess it's worth a shot.
Do i have to change the plug that came off the manual trans, because when the mechanic plugged it in the speedometer went to 110 and then the car shut off.

i think the plug is the same, but you will have to get the sensor first, and then see if will plug in!! i think you should be ok!!

goodwrench9124 and other Chevy Specialists are ready to help you