Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do you remove door panels on a 08 chevy suburban

Customer Question
how do you remove door...
how do you remove door panels on a 08 chevy suburban
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/27/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
Do you need directions for the front doors, rear doors or all doors?
Reply to Dan's Post: I want to install speakers in the front and back doors. So I need info for the four doors please
Door Lock and Side Window Switch Replacement - Driver Side
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF
Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=

Callout

Component Name

1

Front Side Door Window Switch Assembly

Tip
Disconnect electrical connectors.

2

Front Side Door Window Switch Integral Clips (Qty: 2)

Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the door upper trim panel. Refer to Upper Extension Trim Panel Replacement .
  2. Remove the door window control switch. Refer to Door Lock and Side Window Switch Replacement - Driver Side and Door Lock and Side Window Switch Replacement - Passenger Side .

1

Front Side Door Locking Rod Knob Assembly

Procedure

1. Lower the window.
  2. Ensure the locking rod is in the unlocked position.
  3. Use a flat-bladed tool to disengage the detent tab and then remove the knob by pulling upward.
  4. When re-installing, push the knob down until the detent tab touches the locking rod opening cover.
  5. Push the detent tab in to lock the knob to the locking rod.

2

Front Side Door Trim Panel Cover

3

Front Side Door Trim Panel Cover Retainer (Qty: 3)

4

Front Side Door Inside Handle Bezel Cover

5

Front Side Door Trim Panel Bolt (Qty: 3)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
9 N·m (18 lb in)

6

Front Side Door Trim Panel Assembly

Procedure

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  2. There are 2 hooks located on the lower portion of the door trim panel that are being used for manufacturing installation ONLY.
  3. If these hooks are damaged during either removal or installation of the door trim panel, replacement of the panel is not required.
  4. When installing the trim panel start at the lock knob, pushing down and outward moving toward the upper front.

7

Front Side Door Cable Retainer

Procedure

1. Depress both tabs to remove cable and pull cable rearward out of handle assembly.
  2. When reinstalling cable make sure that it is fully seated past the guide tab.

8

Front Side Door Trim Panel Retainer (Qty: 12)

Rear Side Door Window Switch Replacement
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Fastener Tightening Specifications: Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications .

1

Rear Side Door Window Switch Assembly

Tip
Disconnect electrical connectors.

2

Rear Side Door Window Switch Integral Clips (Qty: 2)

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Replacement (Extended Wheelbase)
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove rear door window control switch. Refer to Rear Side Door Window Switch Replacement .

1

Rear Side Door Locking Rod Knob Assembly

Procedure

1. Lower window.
  2. Ensure locking rod is in the unlocked position.
  3. Use a flat-bladed tool to disengage detent tab, then remove knob by pulling upward.
  4. When re-installing, push knob down, until detent tab touches locking rod opening cover.
  5. Push detent tab in to lock knob to locking rod.

2

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Cover

3

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Cover Retainer (Qty: 4)

4

Rear Side Door Inside Handle Bezel Cover

5

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Bolt (Qty: 3)

Tighten
9 N·m (18 lb in)

6

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Assembly

7

Rear Side Door Cable Retainer

Procedure

8

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Retainer (Qty: 10)

Dan, Auto Technician
ok so the way I'am understanding this is, I first undo the lock rod, then the switch panel, then i unscrew the bolts. from there I pull the panel up and out?
this should get you where you want to be except the door panel needs to be come out first as you need to release it from the door. I start with the bottom and work my way up and around to dettach the door panel clips from the door itself.
ok how so I first remove the lock knob. then I remove switch panel. then remove bolts and lift up and out. how do i remove the switch panel? by wedgeing a flat head under it?

Use a small screwdriver to remove the lock rod clip, the power window switch and the cover over the door panel retaining bolts under the handle. The switch assembly should pop straight up for removal.

I'm sorry but a little confused. I understand that i need to remove the lock rod first. now to remove the window control switch panel do i just wedge a flat head under that
it should release from the door panel.
ok last question. I appreciate your assistance by the way. to remove the panel from door, you said start from bottom detaching the clips. what is the best way to do this without breaking clips? do I wedge a flat head between panel and door. I guess i'm thinking a flat head is all a mechanic need...lol
They make plastic wedges or tools that can be used to seperate the panel from the door. If you don't have access to anything like this use a rag wrapped around a flat screwdriver and pry carefully. Be careful and once the panel starts seperating it will come apart much easier.
Reply to Dan's Post: how do I remove the radio from dash. I'am running an aftermarket amp to radio and I dont know how to pull the radio out
Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement (Except Cadillac)
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

1

Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate

Tip
Use a flat-bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim plate to the instrument panel.

2

Retainer Clips (Qty: 9)

Accessory Switch Replacement (Except Cadillac)
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

1

Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate

Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement .

2

Instrument Panel Accessory Switch Screws (Qty: 2)

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in)

3

Instrument Panel Accessory Switch Assembly

Tip
Disconnect the electrical connections.

HVAC Control Module Replacement
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel accessory trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement .
  2. Remove the accessory switch assembly. Refer to Accessory Switch Replacement .
  3. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

1

Screw, Control Assembly - Heater and Air Conditioning (Qty: 2)

Tighten
1.5 N·m (13 lb in)

2

Control Assembly, Heater and Air Conditioning

Tip
HVAC Control Module must be reprogrammed. Refer to Control Module References .

Radio Replacement (Except Cadillac)
Object Number:(###) ###-#### Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Important: Use a scan tool to retrieve the radio part number before removing the radio from the vehicle.

Preliminary Procedures

1. Remove the accessory switch assembly. Refer to Accessory Switch Replacement .
  2. Remove the HVAC control module. Refer to HVAC Control Module Replacement or HVAC Control Module Replacement .

1

Radio Screw (Qty: 4)

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in)

2

Radio Assembly

Tip

Disconnect the electrical connector.
Disconnect the antenna cable.
Reprogram the radio after replacement. Refer to Control Module References .

Dan, Auto Technician