scottyfum
scottyfum, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Factory trained General Motors Grand Master Technician with 12 years experience
9473634

how do I replace a thermostat on a 2000 chevy malibu ...

Customer Question

how do I replace a thermostat on a 2000 chevy malibu and where is it located. Is it hard and how long of a job is it? What do you have to take apart to get to it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  scottyfum replied 9 years ago.

Hi , how are you. These thermostats are a bit of a hard job but they can deffinately be done by a person with a bit of mechanical skill. I will give you detailed information how to replace the thermostat.It is located directly under the throttle body. Here's a tip if it does not state this in the manual. Remove the throttle body and you will have good access to the bolts. Do not remove the exhaust crossover pipe. If you are happy with this information please leave me positive feedback. Thanks Scott

P.S. - I am assumming you have a 3.1 l engine. If not let me know.

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (3.1 L)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain and recover the coolant.

Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.1L.
  4. Remove the surge tank line from the coolant outlet.
    Object Number: 181846  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  5. Remove the coolant outlet to the inlet manifold attaching bolts.
  6. Remove the coolant outlet.
  7. Remove the thermostat.
  8. Clean the inlet manifold mating surfaces.
  9. Clean the coolant outlet mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the thermostat in the inlet manifold.
    Object Number: 181846  Size: SH
  2. Install the coolant outlet to the inlet manifold.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the attaching bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.1L.
  5. Install the surge tank line to the coolant outlet.
  6. Fill the engine with coolant.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).

8. Inspect the system for leaks. Refer to Cooling System Leak Testing .