Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Cobalt ss: me engine power reduce and then the car slows down..whats

Customer Question
i have a cobalt ss...
i have a cobalt ss s/c. and my problem is my car computer is telling me "engine power reduce" and then the car slows down and makes a putt putt sound, like it wants to stallout or turn off. whats going on?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/25/2008
Chevy Mechanic: scottyfum, Chevy Technician replied 9 years ago
scottyfum
scottyfum, Chevy Technician

Hi Rob, I have a published bulletin that will help you with this problem. We run into this problem all the time at work. If you are happy with this responce please leave positive feed back. Thanks. Scott

#07-06-04-003: LSJ, L61, LK5, L52, LL8 Engine - Reduced Engine Power, MIL/SES Light, DTC P1516, P2135, P2138 (Replace PCM) - (Jan 19, 2007)

Subject:LSJ, L61, LK5, L52, LL8 Engine -- Reduced Engine Power, MIL/SES Light, DTC P1516, P2135, P2138 (Replace PCM)

Models:2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt SS, Malibu
2006 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer
2006 GMC Canyon, Envoy
2006 HUMMER H3
2005-2006 Saturn ION, ION Red Line
2006 Saab 9-7X
with ECOTECTM 2.0L, 2.2L I-4 Cylinder Engine (VINs P, F-- RPOs LSJ, L61) or
VORTECTM 2.8L I-4, 3.5L I-5, 4.2L I-6 Cylinder Engine (VINs 8, 6, S -- RPOs LK5, L52, LL8)

Attention: The following bulletin information is only to be used if the customer has returned for REPEAT repairs for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

Condition

Some customers may comment on engine operation in the Reduce Engine Power mode with the MIL/SES light illuminated. This condition may be repeated and upon investigation, the technician may find the following DTCs set as current or in history:

DTC P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
DTC P2135 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation
DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause

This condition of a repeat DTC P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 may be caused by an internal concern with the PCM.

Correction

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=

Important: DO NOT replace the APP sensor. Inspect the PCM build date first.

Before following the diagnostic information in SI on DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138, an inspection of the PCM serial number year and Julian (PCM build) date will be necessary to determine if the PCM will need to be replaced to correct the repeat DTC P1516. Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement in SI in order to remove the PCM. Refer to the above graphic illustration (1) for the location of the PCM serial number.

The serial number is XXXXX left to right. The last digit of the year is the 9th character and the Julian date is comprised of the 10th, 11th and 12th characters and is used to determine the PCM build date. Refer to the example below to read a build date from the PCM serial number:

* 8 6 Y N AU K 1 5 3 2 5 0 R P N *

If the PCM year and Julian dates are between 5182 and 5304 , replace the PCM. Refer to the Part Catalog to order the correct PCM for your vehicle application, if necessary.

Vehicles with PCM built outside the dates should refer to SI diagnostics for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

Warranty Information

scottyfum
scottyfum
scottyfum, Chevy Technician