Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do I change the spark plug wires on a 1999 Chevy S10?

Customer Question
How do I change the...
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/20/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
Spark Plug Wire Harness Replacement (2.2L)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 370382  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Disconnect the spark plug wire at each spark plug.
    Twist the boots one-half turn before removing.
    Pull only on the boot or use a tool designed for this purpose in order to remove the wire from each spark plug.

Object Number: 175522  Size: SH
  2. Disconnect the spark plug wire from the coil.
    Twist each spark plug boot 1/2 turn.
    Pull only on the boot or use a tool designed for this purpose in order to remove the wires from the coil.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 175522  Size: SH
  1. Install the spark plug wires at the coil.
  2. Install the spark plug wire to each spark plug.

Notice: If the boot to wire movement has occurred, the boot will give a false visual impression of being fully seated. Ensure that the boots have been properly assembled by pushing sideways on the installed boots. Failure to properly seat the terminal onto the spark plug will lead to wire core erosion and result in an engine misfire or crossfire condition, and possible internal damage to the engine.

3. Inspect the wires for proper installation:
    Push sideways on each boot in order to inspect the seating.
    Reinstall any loose boot.
    Wire routings must be kept intact during service and followed exactly when wires have been disconnected or when replacement of the wires is necessary. Failure to route the wires properly can lead to radio ignition noise and crossfiring of the plugs, or shorting of the leads to the ground.
    Any time the spark plug wires or boots are installed on the spark plugs, new dielectric grease needs to be applied inside the boot.
Dan, Auto Technician
How do I get to the coil to remove the wires from that end?
Reach down under the right side of the engine from up above. It's kind of tight but you can get your hand down there and disconnect the plug wires one at a time (so you know what order and where they go on the two coil packs). If you don't feel like you can get them from above then safely jack up the right side of the truck and get to the plug wires that way (taking them off one at a time to keep the correct order).
No, there's a large black plastic cover over the whole assembly that has a couple hoses coming off of it. I don't know what it is or what it's called (sorry, I'm not terribly engine literate). It's completely obstructing my access to the non-plug ends of the wires (I think that's the coil).
you are saying there is a black cover over the spark plug wires at the ignition coils? You can't get at the spark plug wires because of this cover?
Correct. It's probably 10" long by 5" wide at the widest point, has "2200 EFI" in lettering molded into it, sits just to the left as you're looking into the hood of the alternator, and you can just see the ignition wire harness underneath the right side of it, but you can't reach up under it to get at the ends of the wires where they connect to the coil. Does that make sense?
Ok, that's part of the air intake and manifold. You need to reach down under there between the intake and right fenderwell and access the plug wires at the ignition coils. The plug wires slip under that large black intake on their way down to the coils. The plug wires will be in a plastic loom or sheathing then at the coils come out seperately to each terminal. The best way I have found to replace these wires is do them one at a time and remove that plastic conduit or sheathing to make it easier for installation. Once all the wires are back on you can then install the conduit to protect the new wires.
Reply to Dan's Post: Is that done more easily from underneath the car?
Actually I have found it's easier to replace the wires and reinstall the conduit from up above the engine while reaching down underneath to do the work. If you are not comfortable doing it that way then by all means try replacing the wires under the engine. It's all in preference and what you feel more comfortable doing ok.
where are the terminals located? I'm having trouble finding the ends of the wires.
Put your left hand down underneath the intake manifold on the side of the engine block. They are a ways down there and at the rear of the engine. You should be able to feel the conduit holding all (4) plug wires together and then the wires come out and angle up to go on the (2) coil packs. If possible use a flashlight to look down under there at the lower rear of the engine and you should be able to see them. The coils have white numbers on 1 and 4 and then 2 and 3.
Thank you.
You are very welcome and let me know if you need any further assistance ok.
Dan, Auto Technician