frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

94 lumina apv: serpentine belt..belt tensioner..bearings..ac pulley

94 lumina apv 3800 engine Problem is serpentine belt will not stay on the pulleys. tried new belt, no change,. new belt tensioner pulley, no change, no apparent pulley runout no bearing wobble or looseness in any accessory, all pulleys rotate freely, recent new bearings in ac pulley, no unusual bearing sounds.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
The reason a sepentine belt will come off is if the tensioner is weak- a pulley is out of alingment (the belt will be rubbing on the edges -you can use a yellow crayon to check) one of the idler pullies has a bad bearing is loose and tiping the causeing the belt to walk off or improper installation not getting the belt on the groved pullies correctly.You need to recheck the belt alignment -without knowing that your just guessing at the problem.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The belt is riding in all the pulley grooves. None of the pulleys have more than a few thousandths runout, none can be shaken or twisted to produce movement, ia tried a new tensioner bearing/pulley. When I observe the belt at cranking speed it runs normally and stays in place. when the engine fires it is off the pullye before you can see it rotate a single revolution.
The tensioner has no side to side movement.
What foot pounds are normal at the tensioner bolt.
Expert:  frank replied 9 years ago.
I just know the feeling of the tensioner as I do it by hand-its very hard to move with a 12 inch wrench.Are you routing the belt right?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am routing the belt as per the diagram, I have done it so many times it is getting to be second nature. I order a tensioner this after noon, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lee