Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2000 chev. blazer.The heater control does not work.

Customer Question
I imagine the hot water...
I have a 2000 chev. blazer.The heater control does not work. I imagine the hot water valve is not opening but I do not know if it is controlled electrically or perhaps vacume.where do I start? yhanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/17/2008
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 9 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
HelloCustomer does the vent air change to the floor when you turn the heater on? Does the air temp change at all if only slightly?
if you mean the air automatically goes to the floor when I turn the dial to heat..no there appears to be little flow to the floor in any position of the dial.I set the dial for flow from the dash so I could monitor it better and I dont detect any increase in temp in any condition.the outside air temp.is app. 40 deg. but the car was up to temp.
Okay. ON this vehicle it is more common for the heater core to clog then for the heater controls to fail. I would start by checking to see if both of the heater lines are getting hot. With the vehicle warmed up and the heater on the two heater lines that come off of the firewall should get hot. Make sure they do, if they do not you have a clog in the heater core.
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Sorry for the delay I didnt have access to the blazer till now.i believe you are correct,the left hose is hot and the righr one only a little warm and for some reason now the heater is slightly warm not ice cold as before to suggest some coolant is getting thru.I presume I should try a backflush but that is another question. thanks
Yes. You need to flush it out. I would just remove the heater hoses and flush it out with a garden hose.
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician