JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

how do i take the fan off of a 97 chevy 350 vortex engine ...

Customer Question

how do i take the fan off of a 97 chevy 350 vortex engine it is threded on to the water pump
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

It helps if you have the Fan Clutch Tool as shown here.
graphic
Follow the article below to get the Fan off.
graphic
I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you get it off with out this tool if you can how thank you scott
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
Sure... Try to hold it with a wrench. If that don't work, then try a socket. If that don't work, then try to put some Vice Grips on it. The lip is so thin you have to grab though. Expect it to be a little harder. Let me know if you still cant get it. Thanks, JHoop.

___________________________
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 9 years ago.
This is a different expert

The tools don't work all that well anyway.

Here is a trick I use all the time and it works great.

Leave the belt on for the moment. Find the longest chisel you can and a heavy hammer. Position the chisel along the left edge of the nut and hit it sharply with the hammer. The nut will break free rather easily and then spin right off. You can tighten it the same way.
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
You should leave the Belt on until you get it broke loose anyway. This will help hold it from freely spinning on you. Feel free to beat on your engine if you want too.

___________________________