Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs Experience and Own and Operate My Own Service Center
4387830

i have a 95 camaro 3.4 v6 with 5 speed trans how do you ...

i have a 95 camaro 3.4 v6 with 5 speed trans how do you bleed the clutch system without a bleeder it has a new clutch kit ,slave cyclinder and clutdh master cyclinder.it will pump up half way but when you release the pedal all the way you loose it

Hi Brent and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. That's a tricky setup.

What you want to do is, unbolt the slave cylinder and keep it lower than the master cylinder. Being carefull to not let the rod come out of it. Then you pump the rod on the slave cylinder several times to work the air out through the master cylinder. It's sort of like bleeding it backwards.

Remember to keep the fluid level full and do it a few times with a 3 to 4 minuet break in between. Then, let it sit for about 15 min and when you pump the pedal, (about 10 times) you should get a good clutch pedal. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i tried what you told me to do and still having the same problem. if i pump the pedal three times it will go into gear but when i release the pedal all the way i loose it what to do
That is what I do with them, let me opt out and see if there is another expert who may have more insight as to the problem at hand. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for your time
Brent, is there an allen head plug on the slave cylinder you have?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no there is no plug
Okay, a pressure bleeder would help here, but they are hard to come by. If you'd like to try I can tell you how to make a poor man's pressure bleeder.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yeah ill give anything a try at this point
You need to go to the hardware and get a garden sprayer (smallest they have). Use fittings and hose to mate it to the hose at the master cylinder. Fill it with the proper fluid (at least a couple of cans) and pump some pressure in. Let it sit on there for a while and see if it forces the bubbles out. When you think it's had enough time, reconnect the master and pump the pedal to get the remaining air out.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I have added the procedure below. If you need further assistance let me know. Don't forget to Click Accept!

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

Bleeding air from the hydraulic clutch system is necessary whenever any part of the system has been disconnected or the fluid level (in the reservoir) has been allowed to fall so low that air has been drawn into the master cylinder.

WARNING
NEVER use fluid which has been bled from a clutch system to fill the master cylinder reservoir, as it may be aerated, have too much moisture and/or be contaminated.

Except 1996-98 5-Speed Transmissions <---use this one
  1. Loosen the master cylinder nuts to the end of the threads on the U-bolt.
  2. Use a shop towel to clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap to avoid getting and foreign debris in the system.
  3. Remove the reservoir cap and diaphragm.
  4. Wrap a suitable piece of wire around the left-hand hood strut bracket, making sure the wire can be accessed from under the vehicle.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the actuator cylinder nuts, then remove the actuator cylinder. Secure the actuator cylinder in the engine compartment using the wire previously installed.
  7. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  8. Grasp the actuator cylinder and depress the actuator cylinder pushrod about 0.0787 in. (20mm) into the cylinder bore and hold.
  9. Have an assistant install the diaphragm and reservoir cap while holding the actuator pushrod in. Release the pushrod.
  10. Hold the actuator cylinder lower than the master cylinder, vertically with the pushrod end facing down.
  11. Press the pushrod into the actuator cylinder bore with short 0.0390 in. (10mm) strokes. Check the master cylinder reservoir for bubbles.
  12. Continue until bubbles are not longer entering the reservoir.
  13. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  14. Remove the actuator cylinder from the wire.
  15. Install the actuator cylinder and secure with the retaining nuts. Tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  16. Carefully lower the vehicle, then remove the wire from the hood strut.
  17. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with the proper type and amount of fluid.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 yrs Experience and Own and Operate My Own Service Center