Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How To Reset Tire Pressure Sensor With New Tires On 2007 Tahoe?

Customer Question
What is the procedure to...

What is the procedure to reset the Tire Pressure Sensor with new tires on 2007 Tahoe?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/23/2008
Chevy Mechanic: goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician

What is the reason, why do you need to relearn TPM??? What is the problem? Maybe rotate the tires???

Because the Tahoe's information centre says tire pressure monitor malfunction. We replaced the tires and have new tire pressure monitors.

Hello!!

Ok, did you reuse the same valve stems????? And I take it, it was ok before the tires where replaced

There is some service info regarding this. Please read the following information. This should clear up any questions you might have.

Subject:Unable To Learn TPM Sensors With Rubber Valve Stem-Pressure Release Method
Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe,
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4220A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that they are unable to perform the TPM learn procedure with the new style rubber valve stems when performing the pressure release method. This may be inconsistent from one tire sensor to the next and one vehicle to the next. Utilizing the J-46079 tool should correct this concern.

The release of air through the valve stem sets up a resonant vibration frequency that can trick the TPM Sensor into thinking it is in motion. This causes the sensor to transmit multiple pressure update messages rather than the Sensor ID learn messages. Since the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) does not recognize the pressure update messages when it is in a Learn Mode, the vehicle will not complete the learn procedure, and the horn will not chirp.

For rubber valve stem sensors only, if you have any problems performing a learn procedure using the pressure release method, use the J-46079 tool to perform TPM Learn procedures.

For customers who are unable to perform the learn procedure at home, advise them of the following information:

While performing the pressure release learn method, some successful TPM relearns have been accomplished by adding or releasing air for 5-8 seconds and then waiting for the horn to chirp. You may have to wait up to 30 seconds for the horn to sound. By only adding or releasing air for 5-8 seconds reduces the resonant vibration frequency in the valve stem and increases the possibility of the sensor sending the correct ID learn message. If this does not work then replace all the TPM sensors with current SPO stock (same part number). A software fix within the TPM sensor was implemented to correct this concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

We ordered a wheel and tire package from Tire Rack with new monitors.

Ok, try this procedure, if it doesn't work correctly, follow the procedure in the above post I made.

Resetting the TPMS Identification Codes

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you rotate your vehicle's tires or replace one or more of the TPMS sensors, the identification codes will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver's side front tire, passengers side front tire, passengers side rear tire, and driver's side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your GM dealer for service.

The TPMS sensors may also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure. If increasing the tire's air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall.

You will have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you will need to start over.

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to RUN with the engine off.
  3. Using the DIC, press the vehicle information button until the Relearn Tire Positions message displays. If your vehicle does not have the DIC buttons, press the trip odometer reset stem located on the instrument panel cluster until the Relearn Tire Position message displays.
  4. If your vehicle has the DIC buttons, press the set/reset button. The horn will sound twice to indicate the TPMS receiver is ready, and the Tire Learning Active message will be displayed. If your vehicle does not have the DIC buttons, press and hold the trip odometer reset stem until the horn chirps twice and the Tire Learning Active message is displayed.
  5. Start with the driver's side front tire.
  6. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position. To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.
  7. Proceed to the passenger's side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
  8. Proceed to the passenger's side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
  9. Proceed to the driver's side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
  10. After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the driver's side rear tire, the horn chirp will sound two more times to signal the tire learning mode is no longer active. Turn the ignition switch to Lock.
  11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
  12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems

The spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor. If you replace one of the road tires with the spare, the Service Tire Monitor message will be displayed on the DIC screen. This message should go off once you re-install the road tire containing the TPMS sensor.

goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124