RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
1100518

i have a 95 chevy s-10 blazer. the fuse keeps blowing that ...

Customer Question

i have a 95 chevy s-10 blazer. the fuse keeps blowing that is connected to the alternator. the fuse blows as soon as i turn on the ignition key. i think it is the #6 fuse in the fuse bloc located in the cab. the alternator is new. can you give me advice as to where to look for shorts or cause for the fuse blowing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

Can you tell me from the schematic below which fuse is blowing?

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I think it is fuse #10 taht is blowing. 20 amp fuse
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6 engine? And how many miles are on this truck?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is a 4.3 liter v-6 vin W
approximately 165,000 miles. alternator is new
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX does not have to do anything with the alternator; below is the wiring schematic for fuse 10 (20 amps) a common fuse to blow on these. Usually you have a shorted ignition coil or fuel injector. What you need to do is disconenct the ignition coil and replace the fuse, does it still blow? If so, than disconnect the injector harness connector, replace the fuse...if it doesn't blow you'll need to replace the Vortec injector assembly under the intake plemun. If the fuse continues to blow, we need to disconnect the crankshaft sensor and try again. The last component to disconnect will be the engine computer, which is a rare failure for this typw of problem, but very well can be. If after disconnecting all the componetns powered by this fuse, it still blows, than we have a shorted wire from the coil, injectors, engine computer, or the crankshaft position sensor to the fuse, and you'll need to carefully check the wires in the harness, or check continuity using an ohm meter with all the components disconnected.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the alternator stops charging as soon as this fue blows
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Doesn't the engine stop running as well?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no the engine is running perfectly. it only stops when the battery finally dies
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

So what about the statement in your original questions about " the fuse blows as soon as I turn the ignition key on." Does this occur all the time? And if so, take a look at the fuse arrangement I posted earnlier and get me the correct fuse, fuse 10 is for the engine computer and related components.

Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have to take another look at the fuse block to see if i am giving you the correct fuse.
fred
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Let me know when you can, if the engine runs...it is not the #10 fuse, it may be the #9, but that also supplys power to the ECM...I'll be offline from 11:30pm-2:00pm PST, if I receive a reply during that time, I get back to you after. thanks.

Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks
i will get back to you asap
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.
No problem :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
hi rip
i gave you bad information on friday. It is the #4 fuse for the gauges that keeps blowing. I will accept your answer and thanks for your patience
fred
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the accept, but if the fuse still blowing?

Rip

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
fuse is still blowing #4 gauges fuse
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

Alright, that fuse powers a few different components. We either have a shorted component or a shorted wire from one of these items to the fuse. Below is the wiring schematic for fuse #4. The reason the alternator stops charging when the fuse blows is becuase the alternator circuit for the charge lamp/guage needs to be complete in order for the alternator to charge. When the fuse blows the entire instrument cluster is dead, thus affecting the charge guage/lamp as well. What we do from here is start disconencting the items in the circuit and replace the fuse each time we disconect one of the items, until the fuse no longer blows or we have disconencted every item in the circuit...Lets begin with the a/c clutch relay, since the a/c clutch is a common failure on these. Do you know where the relay is located? If no let me know.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
do not know where the a/c clutch relay is
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

I've posted the relay location below, let me know if your still having trouble locating it.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks rip i will try this and see what happens and get back to you.
Expert:  RIP replied 9 years ago.

No problem, let me know when you can and if the fuse still blows, we'll move onto the next component.

Rip