Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do i change the headlight bulb on my 97 silverado

how do i change the...
how do i change the headlight bulb on my 97 silverado dually?
1/19/2008
Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Here is the procedure for the 1998 model, but my cross reference says it should be the same as the 1997 model.

Headlamp Bulb Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Make sure the headlamp switch is in the OFF position.

Caution

Halogen bulbs contain gas under pressure. Handling a bulb improperly could cause it to shatter into flying glass fragments. To help avoid personal injury:

• Turn off the lamp switch and allow the bulb to cool before changing the bulb.
    • Leave the lamp switch OFF until the bulb change is complete.
    • Always wear eye protection when changing a halogen bulb.
    • Handle the bulb only by its base. Avoid touching the glass.
    • Keep dirt and moisture off the bulb.
    • Properly dispose of the used bulb.
    • Keep halogen bulbs out of the reach of children.

Notice

Avoid touching the bulb or letting the bulb come in contact with anything damp. Oil from your skin or moisture on the bulb can cause the bulb to explode when the bulb is turned on. If either comes in contact with the bulb, clean the bulb with alcohol or a suitable degreaser and wipe the bulb dry.

2. Remove the bulbs from the headlamp capsules by reaching from the engine compartment and by twisting the bulb counterclockwise.

graphic
  3. Remove the 2 long screws from the top of the radiator support.

graphic
  4. Pull forward the headlamp assembly (3).
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the burned out bulb assembly (1).

Installation Procedure

• Replace a high beam bulb with another high beam bulb. The high beam bulb has a red gasket.
    • Replace a low beam bulb with another low beam bulb. The low beam bulb has a gray tip and a yellow gasket at the base.

1. graphic

Important

2. Install the new bulb assembly (1) into the headlamp assembly (3). Twist clockwise the bulb assembly.
  3. Seat the bulb assembly with the connector facing down.
  4. Connect the electrical connector (2) to the bulb assembly.
  5. Install the headlamp assembly.

graphic
  6. Install the 2 long screws through the top of the radiator support.
  7. Tighten the screws.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Thanks, ***** *****

You are quite welcome & Thanks for the accept.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A
Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter