Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How can I replace the EGR valve on a 01 Venture

The bolts on the EGR...
The bolts on the EGR valve seem to be inaccessible. How can I get the valve out? And is it possible to clean it rather than replace the whole thing?
Thanks.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2007
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Hello, I have never done one on the 3.4L motor, but I am sending you instructions from the GM service manual for the Venture. I hope that will help you. As for cleaning it, that will depend on how bad the carbon build up is on it. But if there is a lot of it, be sure to start the motor briefly with the valve off of the manifold to blow out any loose carbon pieces that may be floating around so it doesn't act up again right away. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Venture Ext.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
    Object Number: 507392  Size: SH

2. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve electrical connector.
  3. Remove the transaxle fluid filler tube.
  4. Remove the bolt retaining the pipe assembly from the EGR valve and carefully pull the pipe assembly back.
  5. Remove the EGR valve retaining bolts.
  6. Remove EGR valve assembly.
  7. Remove the gasket.
  8. Clean the EGR valve mating surface.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 507392  Size: SH

1. Install the EGR valve with a new gasket to the intake manifold.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the bolts through the EGR valve.

Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

3. Connect the pipe assembly to the EGR valve.
  4. Install the bolt.

Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

5. Install the transaxle fluid filler tube.
  6. Connect the EGR valve electrical connector.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Venture Ext.

Thanks for your reply. It isn't clear from the diagram where the retaining bolts are located. My main problem is that the space behind the valve is very tight & I can't see what's there or get to it. Perhaps there is a way to spray a solvent into the valve without having to remove the whole thing?
Really sorry that I have never had one off on this motor. I am going to see if one of the other fellows may have a better idea of what is involved and see if I can get them to give you any other ideas that may help. But, in answer to your other question, I think you will find it really needs to come off to get the carbon out of it. Keep an eye out for a post from someone else. Thanks
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician

Hi!

Most time when you are having EGR problems, the stem itself or the electrical portion is what gets contaminated and causes problems. If you remove it and find a chunk of carbon stuck in the valve then you might be able to get away with cleaning it. If you have access to a scan tool you could drive the vehicle under heavy load and command the EGR valve all the way open. I use this method to clear out a chunk of carbon if it is stuck.... this way I don't need to remove the valve.

It is a tight fit back there, but as long as you follow the directions you will be able to get the bolts loose.

Below is a picture of the EGR valve to help you better understand where the bolts are.

Click to view enlarged image

Sounds interesting! I don't have a scan tool, though. Is there a way to to open the valve by running a wire to the connector? In any case, forcing out deposits into the engine doesn't sound too healthy.

Yes, it could be done but it would probably be easier to remove the valve.

The carbon deposits crumble under any sort of pressure, besides the very slight pressure inside the EGR valve. If there are pieces in the EGR then pieces have already gone through your engine so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I just realized that the code for this was P1404, which means that the valve is stuck in the open position already. Not much can be done about that, right?
Hello again, I think Greg has left for the night, something about celebrating New Years. But you are correct. If the valve is stuck in the open position, there is not much you can do except remove it and see if it is just carbon or if the valve has a bent pintel or something. Being in the open position is going to mess with the fuel mix and make it run poor regardless. Plus you may want to clean the passage which you can't do with the valve in place. Happy New Year by the way. Thanks
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech