Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4, and, my shifter just ...

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4, and, my shifter just won''t shift. I think its the cable, because I can manually change gears by hand on the transmission itself. How do I go about fixing this? I was having some trouble going into park a week ago, but now I couldn''t get it back into park (or, anything but drive now). If I need to replace the cable, I also need to know where to get it, and how much I should expect to spend.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

Here is how you must replace the cable.

Object Number: 102218  Size: SH

• Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P).
  • Apply the parking brake.
  • Remove the front seat.
  • Remove the door sill trim plate.
  • Remove the hinge pillar trim panel.
  • Remove the carpet and the carpet retainers on the driver's side to expose the range select lever cable.
  • Remove the steering column filler panel from the steering column.
  • Disconnect the range select lever cable from the steering column shift control.
    Object Number: 102220  Size: SH

• Disconnect the range select lever cable from the retainers on the cab floor pan.
  • Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with safety stands.
    Object Number: 106196  Size: SH

• Remove the cable retainer from the transmission mounted bracket. Squeeze the cable retainer while pulling the cable towards the rear of the vehicle.
  • Disconnect the cable end from the transmission range select lever ball stud.
  • Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until the lever reaches the full clockwise stop position.
    Object Number: 102222  Size: SH

• Remove the range select lever cable from under the fuel line and from the rear transmission bracket.
  • Note the routing of the range select lever cable on the vehicle before removal.
  • Remove the safety stands.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Remove the range select lever cable grommet from the floor panel.
  • Remove the range select lever cable from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 102215  Size: SH

Object Number: 102224  Size: SH

• Ensure that the transmission is in the mechanical park position. Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until the lever reaches the full clockwise stop position.
  • Install the range select lever cable to the vehicle. Route the cable in the original location noted during removal.
    Object Number: 102220  Size: SH

• Install the range select lever cable grommet to the floor panel.
  • Install the range select lever cable retainers on the cab floor pan.
    Object Number: 102218  Size: SH

• Install the range select lever cable end to the steering column shift control.
  • Install the steering column filler panel to the steering column.
  • Install the carpet and the carpet retainers on the driver's side.
  • Install the door sill trim plate.
  • Install the hinge pillar trim panel.
  • Install the front seat. Refer to Seats.
  • Make sure that the steering column transmission shift lever is in Park (P).
    Object Number: 102222  Size: SH

• Route the range select lever cable under the fuel lines.
  • Connect the range select lever cable to the rear transmission bracket.
  • Install the range select lever cable retainer to the transmission cable bracket.
    Object Number: 102227  Size: SH

• Remove the black shipping clip from the new range select lever cable. Discard the clip.
  • Install the range select lever cable end to the transmission range select lever. Push the cable end onto the transmission range select lever stud ball.
  • Adjust the range select lever cable.
  • This process will take all of around two hours to complete. The cable itself is not too cheap. The dealer is going to charge you $91.23 for it. I honestly would stick with a gm unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions on any of the procedures. Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
    I will try this in the morning. Thank you very much. I'll accept the answer, as it sounds correct. Thanks again.

- Josh
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.
    Thanks for using justanswer.com! Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good Luck!