Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do I remove the ignition lock cylinder from a 2001 ...

Customer Question
How do I remove the...
How do I remove the ignition lock cylinder from a 2001 Chevy Silverado?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/20/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 9 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Does the key turn to the on position?

Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: Yes, it is becoming hard to get the key in so I already have a new cylinder keyed to my existing lock and I can't find any good step-by-step for getting the old one out to put the new one in.

Ok here is how to replace it. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system. (this is done by simply removing the AIR BAG fuse)
  3. Lower the hush and knee bolster.
  4. Remove the steering column trim covers.
  5. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  4. Install the steering column trim covers.
  5. Install the hush and knee bolster.
  6. Enable the SIR system.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH