Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Do i need a special Tool?

Do i need a special Tool?
12/15/2007
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Hello, the filter is located on the frame rail, under the truck. The special fuel line release tool can be purchased at any parts store and they are cheap. Instructions posted below. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2004 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban

Fuel Filter Replacement

Tools Required

J-46363 Fuel Line Release Tool

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the fuel composition sensor bracket nuts.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Reposition the fuel composition sensor/bracket off to the side.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Using a flare nut wrench and backup wrench disconnect the fuel line fitting from the fuel filter.
  6. Pull the quick connect fitting back until the internal retainers hit the filter stop.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Twist one end of J-46363 and insert it between the fitting and the filter.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Twist the opposite end of J-46363 and insert it between the fitting and filter.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Once J-46363 is inserted, ensure that J-46363 is parallel to the filter and fitting.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

10. While holding the filter, push the fitting towards the filter in order to disconnect the quick connect fitting.
  11. Remove the fitting from the filter.
  12. Remove J-46363 from the filter.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

13. Remove the fuel filter from the bracket.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the NEW fuel filter to the bracket.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. While holding the filter, push the fitting towards the filter in order to connect the quick connect fitting.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Using a flare nut wrench and backup wrench connect the fuel line fitting to the fuel filter.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Position the fuel composition sensor/bracket into place.
  5. Install the fuel composition sensor bracket nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

6. Lower the vehicle.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2004 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban

Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech