Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Tahoe: belt..weve replaced parts trying to fix it, it..squeal

I have an 01 Tahoe...
I have an 01 Tahoe in which the belt is squealing something awful. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but as we've replaced parts trying to fix it, it's only gotten worse. The squeal is coming from the front in the middle and possibly lower than higher. When we take the belt/s off, it goes away (so I'm quite sure it's the belt). Already replaced both belts (twice), the alternator, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner/s, clutch fan...and I think that's it. Also, the A/C does not seem to be the problem. I have heard a few other Tahoe's squealing down the road as well so I'm hoping you know what else may have gone bad and or should be checked. I'm am thinking something one of these pulleys is riding on is just a little off, making the belt ride a little off & causing the noise. PLEASE HELP!!!!
11/28/2007
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Hello, you may want to take a look at this bulletin from GM concerning belt noise and see if it helps you. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

Subject:Accessory Drive Belt Whine (Reposition Power Steering Pump Pulley) #01-02-32-007 - (08/20/2001)

Models:2001-02 Chevrolet and GMC C/K 1500 Series Utility Models (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL)
Built at Janesville Assembly Plant (Plant Code J) from December, 2000 through July, 2001

Condition

Some customers may comment on a whining-type noise that is audible in the vehicle's passenger compartment. This noise can typically be heard when the vehicle is idling and may vary in pitch as engine RPM is increased.

Cause

The power steering (PS) pump pulley may be positioned too far inboard on the PS pump.

Correction

Inspect the PS pump pulley for proper positioning on the PS pump shaft. If it is determined that the pulley is not even/flush with the end of the shaft (+/- 0.25 mm (0.010 in) following the applicable Service Manual procedure and using J 25034-C, reposition the PS pump pulley.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
THANK YOU!! YOU WERE 100% RIGHT!!!!! I couldda saved myself alot of money had I checked here first!!!
We are really happy that we could help. Hope this is the end of your problems and you enjoy many miles of happy motoring. Thanks for the accept, feedback, bonus and for using JA, Happy Holidays
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech