Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2002 chevy silverado 2500: you replace the rear differential gear

Customer Question
how do you replace the...
how do you replace the rear differential gear on a 2002 chevy silverado 2500hd 4x4?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 10 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Hello, This is not a job for the mechanically challenged. It requires some special tools and the knowledge to use them. If the rear end is not set up correctly failure will result fast and it will make noise if the clearances are not all done correctly. Below are the basics of the answer to your question. But the operation does vary a little from one rear end to another. So if this is not the correct one for your truck, we will need to know the size of the ring gear in it now to get you the correct information. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Drive Pinion and Ring Gear Replacement (8.6 Inch, 9.5 Inch, 11.5 Inch Axles)

Tools Required

J 22536 Pinion Remover (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles)
J 44421 Pinion Remover (11.5 inch axle)
Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles).
  3. Remove the brake calipers (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles).
  4. Remove the brake rotors (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles).
  5. Remove the axle shafts.
  6. Remove the differential.
  7. Remove the pinion yoke and the seal.
    Object Number: 683960  Size: SH

8. Install the J 22536 (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle) or the J 44421 (11.5 inch axle) as shown. Ensure that the J 22536 or the J 44421 is firmly seated on the pinion.
  9. Drive the pinion out using the J 22536 (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle) or the J 44421 (11.5 inch axle) and a hammer. Strike the J 22536 or the J 44421 slowly. Do not let the pinion fall out of the rear axle housing.
    Object Number: 9731  Size: SH

10. Remove the collapsible spacer from the pinion. Discard the spacer.
  11. Remove the pinion bearings and the cups.

Important: The ring gear bolts on the 8.6 inch, the 9.5 inch, and the 10.5 inch axles have left-hand threads. The ring gear bolts on the 11.5 inch axle have right-hand threads.

12. Remove the gear bolts. Discard the bolts.

Notice: Do not pry the ring gear from the differential case. Prying the ring gear from the differential case may cause damage to the ring gear and/or the differential case.

13. Remove the ring gear from the differential. Drive the gear off with a brass drift if necessary.

Installation Procedure

Important: The mating surface of the ring gear and the differential case must be clean and free of burrs before installing the ring gear.

Object Number: 6940  Size: SH

1. Install the ring gear to the differential case.
  2. Install two threaded studs into the ring gear on opposite sides.
  3. Place the ring gear on the case. Align the studs with the holes in the case.
  4. Install the new left-hand threaded ring gear bolts. Tighten the ring gear bolts alternately and in stages, gradually pulling the ring gear onto the differential case.

Tighten

For the 8.6 inch axle, tighten the ring gear bolts in sequence to 120 N·m (89 lb ft).
    For the 9.5 inch axle, tighten the ring gear bolts in sequence to 140 N·m (103 lb ft).
    For the 11.5 inch axle, tighten the ring gear bolts in sequence to 237 N·m (175 lb ft).

5. Install the pinion bearing cups.
  6. Determine the selective shim thickness for the pinion gear.
  7. Install the selective shim onto the pinion.
  8. Install the inner pinion bearing to the pinion.
  9. Install a new collapsible spacer.
  10. Lubricate the pinion bearings with axle lubricant.
  11. Install the pinion to the axle housing.
  12. Install the outer pinion bearing onto the pinion.
  13. Install a new pinion oil seal and the pinion yoke.
  14. Install the differential.
  15. Perform a gear tooth contact pattern check on the pinion and the ring gear.
  16. Install the axle shafts.
  17. Install the brake rotors (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle).
  18. Install the brake calipers (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle).
  19. Install the tire and wheel assemblies (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle).
  20. Fill the axle with lubricant. Use the proper fluid.
  21. Lower the vehicle.

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech