Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 chevy tahoe brake lights wont work. third light does.

Customer Question
whats the problem...
2003 chevy tahoe brake lights wont work. third light does. whats the problem
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/18/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
If the fuses and bulbs are good then check for power out of the brakelight switch to the brake lights. There are two seperate power feeds, one for the 3rd brake light and one to the brake lights. If power to brake lights and into the multifunction switch the most likely cause is the multifunction switch. The power goes thru there and then to the rear. What happens is the small contacts inside the switch wear out and don't allow power to flow thru creating an open circuit. Replace the multifunction switch and you should be good to go.
where is this multifunction switch

The multifunction switch is also called the combination switch which includes the turn signal, hazard and wiper/washer switches. Sorry for not explaining that. Here is a rough estimate for replacement and also how to replace it.

PartOEM PartPrice
Combination Switch
Turn Signal Switch
Without Cruise Control12450066$129.32Notes
With Cruise Control12450067$158.12Notes
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Combination Switch
Replace
Multifunction SwitchB1.01.3Notes

Turn Signal Multifunction Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Object Number: 415293  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
  2. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  3. Remove the upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .

Important: The abrasion sleeve located on the steering column wire harness assembly must be reinstalled. Make note of what connector is coming out of the abrasion sleeve for installation purposes.

4. Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2).
  5. Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR system coil connector.
    Object Number: 306234  Size: SH
  6. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 664256  Size: SH
  7. Remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) from the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2).
  8. Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column tilt head assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 664256  Size: SH
  1. Install the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) onto the steering column tilt head assembly.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Important: Be sure that the electrical contact of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) rests on the turn signal cancel cam assembly.

2. Screw the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) into the turn signal and multifunction assembly (2).

Tighten

Tighten the top pan head tapping screw (1) to 3 N·m (27 lb in).
    Tighten the side pan head tapping screw (3) to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

Object Number: 306234  Size: SH
  3. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 415293  Size: SH
  4. Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the SIR coil connector.

Important: The abrasion sleeve must be installed back onto the steering column wire harness assembly. The ignition lock cylinder case wires and connector must be hanging out of the middle of the abrasion sleeve.

5. Install the wire harness assembly (1) into the wire harness strap (2).
  6. Install the upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .
  7. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  8. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
Dan, Auto Technician
Dan, Auto Technician