RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
1100518

I have a 96 chevy cavalier. When I try to start the car it ...

Customer Question

I have a 96 chevy cavalier. When I try to start the car it will turn over for just a second then it dies. Could this be the anti theft system doing this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

It definitly can be the anti-theft...does the theft lamp blink while your trying to crank the engine...or stay illuminated?

~Rip

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
The light stays on. So are all the other lights on the dash. I just had a new altenater put on two week ago. Snice then all of these light have come on. Yesterday I wanted to try and get them to turn off so I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery and went to start the car it did start for a second and then dies. All of these lights lit up on my dash also has the gauges not working. The RPMs does not work and the temp gauge. Every now an then they will kick in and work for a minute or so then stop again. This is the same with the light. Some will turn off but later come back on.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: The light stays illuminated at all times. Even when the car is running right normal the light is illuminated. So are all the other lights. My dash looks like a Christmas tree.
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

The warning lamps illumianted entail a specific fault in each system...but if the THEFT lamp stays illumianted at all times...that means there's definitly a fault in the THEFT system...it's possible that it took until now to reveal itself. First try the procedure below...it's a password XXXXX for the anti-theft system.

~Rip

graphic

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: I have done what you said and the problem is still there. You said after 10 min the telltale light should turn off. What is the telltale light? If this it the light that says Anti-theft it has not went off at all. Is there something that I can by at an auto parts store that plugs into that port thats under the stearing column?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I have done what you said and the problem is still there. You said after 10 min the telltale light should turn off. What is the telltale light? If this it the light that says Anti-theft it has not went off at all. Is there something that I can by at an auto parts store that plugs into that port thats under the stearing column
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I didn't recieve the last posts...if the relearn didn't work, than there is a more serious problem with the anti-theft. The Telltale lamp is the THEFT lamp. Unfortunalty you can't purchase a scanner inexpensively for diagnostics on this, you need a factory level scan tool. The most common cause of this type of failure is the Passlock Sensor in the steering column, which signals the anti-theft system when the ignition key is turned on. You can purchase a sensor and attempt to install it your self, but without correct diagnostics it can be a number of items.

~Rip

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Ok I tried to reset the anti theft like you explained. You said turn the key to the on position then turn to start. The car wont start then turn the key back to the on position and wait 10 min. turn off for five sec then repeat steps i thru 4. While doing this turn the car in the on position it has run down most of my battery due to the day running lights being on while I'm waiting for the ten min to pass by. Am I doing this right? Is all the dash light supposed to be on while the key is turn on? Or is it one position down when the dash lights are off?
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

I left another post above, so see if you can read it as well...but you'll need to put the battery on a charger while doing this or put a freshly charged battery in, it cannot go low on charge while doing this - or the procedure will be unsuccessful. All the lamps on the dash should be illuminated, so it's the position just before you crank the engine. Let me know if your still having trouble.

~Rip