How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carl King Your Own Question
Carl King
Carl King, Classic Chevy man
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 149
Experience:  33 years experience in classic/muscle cars. Classic Chevy from 55-72.
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
Carl King is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought an E4 Torx socket, labled as being for GM ...

Customer Question

I bought an E4 Torx socket, labled as being for GM ignition switches, to remove ignition switch in 2002 s-10 pick up, 4cyl, 2wh dr,and it seems to be too small. Do they make an E5 Torx "ignition socket?"
Thx for your help!
Dennis Fitzwater
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carl King replied 10 years ago.


These are often called a reverse torx bit.

I had to fix the column on my c1500 just this past fall and ran into the same challenge. I used an allen key socket instead. If you have a set of allen keys, find the right size to fit inside the bolt head. Take that allen key to the parts store and get an allen key socket.


Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: The answer I received is not the best advice one could have given in this situation. As it turns out all I needed was an E5 torx socket and my problem was solved. The expert suggests using an allen socket instead, but that can lead to the torx part being damaged and even harder to remove. I am sorry to say that I do not think this was worth $15.00.

Best regards,
Denni Fitzwater