Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

coolant leak on the back..5.7 litre vortec..intake manifold gasket

Customer Question
I have a coolant leak...
I have a coolant leak on the back of my 5.7 litre vortec engine. t appears to be the intake manifold gasket. How do I remove and replace the old gasket? Step by step would be good.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/20/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 10 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
HiCustomer There are several different set ups, we need to know if your truck is a throttle body unit or multiport injection. The year model would also help us. Thanks
It is a 1998 Chevy Silverado. 5.7 litre with a throttle body.
Thanks for the reply. Give me a few to upload the info for you. It is pretty involved, you may want to print a copy. Thanks
How do I get the info from you? And how do I accept?
I will post it here. If it works for you, just click the accept button. It will be a few, pretty long set of instructions. Thanks

Some of this info may get repeated, because of how GM lays it out in the book. Just read through it first and get a feel for it. Note, any blue high lights will not open for you, they are GM access only. Be sure to mark distributor location before removing it. You may need to rent a tool for removing and installing the power steering pump pulley as it is a press on fit. Any local parts store. If you need anything else, just drop me a note. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD

Intake Manifold Replacement (Upper)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
  3. Remove the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
  4. Disconnect the throttle and cruise control cables (if equipped). Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
  5. Remove the throttle cable bracket and set it aside.
  6. Remove the following electrical connectors:
    - The SCPI injector harness connector
    - The canister purge solenoid
    - The ignition coil
    - The ignition control module (ICM)
    - The generator
    - The idle air control (IAC) motor
    - The oxygen (O² sensor)
    - The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
    - The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
  7. Disconnect the fuel pipes from the fuel pipes.
  8. Remove the distributor cap and reposition it out of the way.
  9. Remove the PCV valve.
    Object Number: 179250  Size: SH

10. Remove the wiring support bracket at the rear of the manifold.
  11. Remove the canister purge valve.
  12. Remove the studs holding the upper intake manifold.
  13. Remove the upper intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Disassemble .
  14. Clean all surfaces. Refer to Intake Manifold Clean and Inspect .
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 31649  Size: SH

1. Install the upper intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Assemble .
  2. Install the canister purge valve.
    Object Number: 179250  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the wiring support bracket at the rear of the manifold.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

4. Install the PCV valve.
  5. Install the distributor cap.
  6. Connect the fuel pipes to the rear of the engine.
  7. Connect the electrical connectors.
  8. Install the throttle cable bracket.
  9. Connect the throttle cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
  10. Install the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
  11. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
  12. Connect the battery negative cable.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD
Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD

Intake Manifold Replacement (Lower)

Removal Procedure

2. Drain the engine coolant.
    Object Number: 173191  Size: SH

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
  4. Remove the following coolant hoses:
    - Upper radiator hose.
    - Both heater hoses.
    - Coolant by-pass hose.
  5. Disconnect all electrical connectors.
  6. Remove the distributor.
  7. Use a twisting motion to remove the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
  8. Disconnect the throttle cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
  9. Remove the drive belt.
    Object Number: 179249  Size: SH

Important: It is not necessary to discharge the A/C refrigerant.

10. Remove the air conditioning (A/C) compressor, if equipped, and set it aside. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging in HVAC.
    Object Number: 173206  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipe from the bracket and the front of the intake manifold.
  12. Remove the PCV valve.
  13. Disconnect the fuel pipes from the rear of the intake manifold.
  14. Disconnect the electrical connector from the power steering pump.
    Object Number: 188295  Size: SH

15. Remove the power steering pump mounting bracket using the following procedure:
    - Remove the power steering pump pulley.
    - Remove the nut, then the bolts.
    - Remove two nuts from the back of the power steering pump.
    - Slide the power steering pump mounting bracket forward, with the power steering pump still attached.
  16. Disconnect the wiring bracket from the rear of the right cylinder head.
  17. Remove one valve rocker arm cover.
    Object Number: 66456  Size: SH

18. Remove the intake manifold bolts.
  19. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Removal .
  20. Clean all surfaces. Refer to Intake Manifold Clean and Inspect .
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 66456  Size: SH

1. Install the intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Installation .
  2. Install the valve rocker arm cover.
    Object Number: 188295  Size: SH

3. Install the power steering pump bracket using the following procedure:
    - Install the power steering pump bracket onto the stud.
    - Install the nut onto the stud finger tight.
    - Install the three bolts finger tight.
    - Install the two nuts to the back of the power steering pump.
    - Install the three bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts and the bolts to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

- Install the power steering pump pulley.
    - Connect the electrical connector to the power steering pump.
    - Connect the fuel pipes to the rear of the intake manifold.
    - Connect the wiring bracket to the rear of the right cylinder head.
    - Install the PCV valve.

Object Number: 173206  Size: SH

4. Connect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipe to the bracket and the front of the intake manifold.
  5. Use a twisting motion to install the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
  6. Install the air conditioning (A/C) compressor, if equipped. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging in HVAC.
  7. Install the drive belt.
  8. Connect the throttle cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
  9. Install the distributor.
  10. Connect all electrical connectors.
  11. Install the following coolant hoses:
    - Upper radiator hose.
    - Both heater hoses. .
    - Coolant by-pass hose.
  12. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
  13. Fill the engine cooling system with coolant.
  14. Connect the battery negative cable.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech