RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
1100518

My 2000 Chevy Malibu surges whenever I go uphill and ...

My 2000 Chevy Malibu surges whenever I go uphill and accelerate. What would be causing this ?

Hi, welcome to jA.

• Has the Check Engine Lamp come on since the problem began?
  • How many miles are on the vehicle?

~Rip

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Yes the check engine light has come on. I have taken it to local mechanic, he can't find the problem. I have about 150,000 miles

Thanks for the information...the shop you took it to, may not be fully equipped to access the Powertrain computer on this vehicle. If the lamp has illumianted than the vehicle's computer has stored diagnostic information which pinpoints the circuit which has failed. Otherwise it is just a guessing game. The symptoms you describe are common to an internal transmission fault, this normally sets transmission codes so most generic shops cannot retrieve them. Check the level of the transmission fluid, if it's good...you'll need to take the vehicle down to a shop where the codes can be gathered. If you can post those codes here, I can give you a much more firm reason why the problem is occuring.

~Rip