Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1995 Chevy Camaro: a 3.4, how do you replace the fuel filter

Customer Question
On 1995 Chevy Camaro with...
On 1995 Chevy Camaro with a 3.4, how do you replace the fuel filter and thermostat.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/18/2007
Chevy Mechanic: autodoc_2000, Auto Technician replied 10 years ago
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician

Thermostat

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Except 3.8L Engine

See Figures 1 through 7

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Place a suitable drain pan under the radiator.

2. Open the radiator drain cock and drain the cooling system a level below the thermostat. Close the drain cock and tighten to 13 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm).

3. Disconnect the air cleaner duct and remove the air cleaner.

4. Remove the inlet hose and clamp from the water outlet.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Use a pair of pliers to unfasten the hose retaining clamp

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Disconnect the hose from the water outlet

1. Unfasten the water outlet bolts/screws, then remove the outlet.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Unfasten the water outlet retaining bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: ... then remove the outlet to access the thermostat

1. If equipped, remove and discard the water outlet gasket. Remove the thermostat from the intake manifold or water pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the thermostat from the water pump

1. Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces of the water outlet and upper intake manifold.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Exploded view of the water outlet and thermostat - 3.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Exploded view of the thermostat mounting - 5.7L engine

To install:

1. Place the thermostat into the intake manifold or water pump, as applicable. If equipped, place a new gasket over the thermostat.

2. Install the water outlet and secure with the retaining bolt/screw. Tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

3. Install the inlet hose and clamp to the water outlet.

4. Install the air cleaner and air intake duct.

5. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

Fuel Filter

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

The in-line fuel filter is located on the fuel feed pipe, before the fuel injection system, and mounted directly in front of the rear axle. The filter housing is constructed of steel with quick-connect inlet and threaded outlet fittings. The threaded fitting is sealed with an O-ring. In order to disengage quick-connect fittings, a fuel line quick-connect separator tool set, such as J-37088-A or equivalent, is required. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement. Only replace the fuel filter if it is restricted.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Cross-sectional view of the in-line fuel filter

1. Release the fuel pressure as follows:

In order to perform this procedure as listed below, fuel pressure gauge kit J-34730-1 or equivalent is required.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Loosen the fuel tank filler cap in order to relieve the fuel vapor pressure from the fuel tank.

3. Connect fuel pressure gauge J 34730-1 or equivalent to the fuel pressure connection. To avoid spillage while disconnecting gauge, wrap a shop towel around the fitting.

4. Install the bleed hose from the gauge into an approved container and open the valve to bleed the fuel system pressure.

At this point, fuel connections are now safe for servicing.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Clean both the inlet and the outlet fittings on the fuel filter.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: The in-line fuel filter is mounted in a bracket located under the vehicle, directly in front of the rear axle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: The fuel filter can be accessed with the vehicle raised and safely supported

1. Disengage the quick-connect fittings at the fuel filter inlet as follows:

1. Slide the dust covers from the quick-connect fittings, if equipped.

2. Grasp both sides of the fitting. Twist female connector 1/4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within the fitting. Using compressed air and safety glasses, blow dirt out of fitting.

3. If equipped with the plastic hand releasable fitting, squeeze the plastic retainer release tabs and pull the connection apart.

4. If equipped with metal fitting, choose correct size tool from tool set J-37088-A. Insert tool into female connector, then push inward to release locking tabs. Pull the connector apart.

5. Use a clean lint free rag to clean male pipe ends. Inspect both ends of the fitting for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace components as required. If it is necessary to remove rust or burrs from the fuel pipe, use emery cloth in a radial motion with the pipe end to prevent damage to the O-ring sealing surface.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Quick-connect fuel line fittings

1. Remove the threaded outlet fitting from the chassis fuel pipe. Slide the fuel filter from the bracket.

2. Inspect the fuel pipe O-ring for cuts, nicks, swelling or distortion. Replace if necessary.

To install:

1. Slide the fuel filter into the bracket. Thread the outlet fitting to the chassis fuel pipe.

2. Tighten the in-line fitting to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

3. Engage the quick-connect inlet fitting as follows:

1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.

2. Push both sides of the fitting together to cause the retainer tabs to snap in place. Once installed, pull on both sides of the fitting to ensure connection is secure.

3. Reposition dust cover over the quick-connect fitting, if equipped.

4. Lower the vehicle. Tighten the fuel filler cap.

5. Confirm that the ignition is in the OFF position. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Pressurize the fuel system by cycling the ignition without attempting to start the engine. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for two seconds, then turn to the OFF position for ten seconds. Again, turn to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.

autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: The thermostat is difficult to get to and looks nothing like the pictures..

Here is other information.

Remove or Disconnect

1. Air cleaner and duct assembly.
  2. Engine coolant, partially.
  3. Engine torque strut bolt at engine.
  4. Upper radiator hose at housing.
  5. Depressurize fuel system.
  6. Fuel lines from fuel rail.
  7. Heater hose bracket at thermostat housing stud.
  8. Heater hose at throttle body.
  9. Housing retaining bolts.
  10. Thermostat housing.
  11. Thermostat.

Clean

• Inlet manifold mating surfaces.
  • Coolant outlet mating manifold.

Install or Connect

1. Thermostat.
  2. Gasket.
  3. Thermostat housing to inlet manifold.
  4. Bolts to housing with RTV sealer GM p/n 4G1052366 (or equivalent).

Tighten

• Bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb. ft.) .
  1. Heater hose at throttle body.
  2. Heater hose bracket at thermostat housing stud.
  3. Fuel lines to fuel rail.
  4. Upper radiator hose to thermostat housing.
  5. Engine torque strut to engine bolt.
  6. Air cleaner assembly.
  7. Fill coolant.

graphic

The thermostat sits on the top of the engine under the intake manifold and has little room to fit hand and fingers..
Are you saying that the last picture I sent does not look like the thermostat area? Are you sure it is a 3.4 liter?
It's similar to the first picture, but there's an aluminum intake or something attached to the carburetor in the front..This is over the thermostat, and it makes it difficult to get a socket on the housing screws.
You should be able to get the bolts out if you remove the items listed. You may need to use a wrench and go a slight turn at a time. Some of these vehicles are packed so tight with equipment that it is very difficult to access parts like the thermostat.
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician