Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1998 Chevrolet truck: you reprogram the anti theft system..wont stay…

Customer Question
How do you reprogram the...
How do you reprogram the anti theft system on a 1998 Chevrolet truck? The truck won't stay started. The anti theft sysytem keeps shutting it off.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/13/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 10 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Some GM cars and trucks can be programed with no tools, but because of the design of the system in your truck, it will have to have a class 2 scan tool used to program the pass lock theft device. Note the blue links will not open for you.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Conditions

Important: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/PasslockTM module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

The EVO/PasslockTM module
The passlockTM sensor
The VCM/PCM

The EVO/PasslockTM module will set the DTC B3031 module in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.

Steps

Important: Erase the passlockTM related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM. If there are any powertrain related DTCs, record these DTCs then:

For 4.3L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 4.3L
For 5.0/5.7L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 5.0/5.7L
For 6.5L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 6.5L
For 7.4L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 7.4L
In addition to the time involved in performing the specific steps, the Seed and Key programming procedure takes 10 minutes. The Auto Lean programming procedure takes 30 minutes.

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all EVO/passlockTM module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to:
    - For 4.3L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 4.3L
    - For 5.0/5.7L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 5.0/5.7L
    - For 6.5L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 6.5L
    - For 7.4L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 7.4L
  3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    - If the passlockTM sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    - If the EVO/passlockTM module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    - If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    - If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  5. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup

Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech