Bart
Bart, GM Master tech
Experience:  20 Years Gm Auto Tech All current gm training GM Master tech ASE Master tech All electrical problems
3947665

2004 Chevy Venture. Passenger side power sliding door only ...

Customer Question

2004 Chevy Venture. Passenger side power sliding door only unlatches but will not open on its own when you hit the button. Asked this question once and was given some helpful information but then was never sent the rest that ChevyMan said he would send? If you can help please let me know.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bart replied 10 years ago.
Ok I read your last post and my experience with these doors is vast There is a control module that operates the fuctions of this system The one thing that stands out about your problem is that some times in is hard to find exact cause so we just replace complete module Give me all details and i will try to help you with this
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bart's Post: not long after going through a touchless car wash the door started acting up. My wife tried to close it but when she would hit the button it would close some, then open back up. She locked it out and closed it by hand. When she returned to where I was she told me about it and I went out and I unlocked the power part of the door and hit the button to open it. It opened once and that was it. All it will do now is unlatch and start to pull itself open. Maybe 2 to 2 inchs at most. I have gone through all 3 diagnostics and do not get anything wrong. In diagnostic mode 3 I beleive I should hear a beep when I open the door and it reachs the fully open mode. I do not but then was told that there is nothing at that end of the travel to trigger the bee/tone. As far as I can tell from what I have found out so far, there is a optical sensor at the rear of this system. I have not taken it apart yet as I want to make sure i know what to be looking for. I should also add that we can open the door by hand but the cable does not retract as you open it. This is a 2004 Chevy Venture with 41K on it, and it is like new in every way. Figures right out of the bumper to bumper warranty this would happen :)

Rick
Expert:  Bart replied 10 years ago.
You have a failure is in the door module it sounds like the motor is bad or the cables are binding inthe spool no east fix you need to replace door module Hope this helps We see a lot of these in the shop
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bart's Post: I will check it this weekend and see if the cable is bound up. I will let you know. If this is correct I will accept the answer right away.

Thanks,

Rick
Expert:  Bart replied 10 years ago.
No problem Rick I also saw some info in the flow charts where the optical sensor or the PSD control module could be the cause with same symtoms as yours so if you get the panel off i can tell you how to test with a volt meter It would be cheaper to repair if just one conponet is bad Let me know Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Chevrolet Venture

Rear Side Door Actuator Cable Tension Adjustment (Regular Method)

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  2. Remove the right rear quarter lower trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Quarter - Right in Interior Trim.
    Object Number: 450704  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  3. Position the center roller bracket at the front of the track. Ensure that the bracket is 25 mm (1 in) from the forward radius and that the cable tension slot is accessible in the window located on the Power Sliding Door (PSD) motor clutch assembly.

Important: Use only a 6-point 14 mm socket on the adjusting nut. The adjusting nut requires very little torque to achieve proper cable tension. DO NOT exceed 20 N·m of torque on the adjuster nut. Use of additional torque beyond 20 N·m may damage the adjuster nut. If the adjuster nut rounds, refer to Rear Side Door Actuator Cable Tension Adjustment .

4. Insert a 9 mm (3/8 in) drill bit into the tension slot on the actuator motor.
  5. Push in and turn the 14 mm cable adjuster nut (1) counterclockwise until the tensioner pins are located between both the front and rear double blocks. The blocks are marked on the PSD module housing. This action adjust the cable tension. If the adjuster nut rounds, refer to Rear Side Door Actuator Cable Tension Adjustment .
  6. Remove the 9 mm (3/8 in) drill bit from the cable tension slot.
  7. Operate the sliding door manually.
  8. Verify that the tension is correct.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  10. Perform the reinitialization procedure. Refer to Power Sliding Door (PSD) Re-Initialization .
  11. Place the jack in the storage compartment.
  12. Close the storage compartment door.
  13. Install the right rear quarter lower trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Quarter - Right in Interior Trim.

Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Chevrolet Venture
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bart's Post: I will do this and get back to you. Thank you very much for the direction.

Rick