Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I HAVE ACHEVY S10 4.3.I REPLACED TIMING CHAIN AND GEARS ...

Customer Question
I HAVE ACHEVY S10 4.3.I...
I HAVE ACHEVY S10 4.3.I REPLACED TIMING CHAIN AND GEARS WHEN I REMOVED UPPER GEAR THE GEAR BEHIND THIS UPPER GEAR MOVED I THINK IT RUNS THE DIST IT IS A VORTEC ENGINE HOW DO I GET PROPER TIMING BACK ON DIST
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 10 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Are you talking about the balance shaft gear? If so, did it get taken off of the motor too? This is the gear behind the upper gear on the camshaft and it rides against another gear on the bottom, if they were not removed, let me know and I will send instructions on setting up the cam and crank. The cam and crank gears determine timing on the distributor. Has the distributor been taken out of the motor or was it left in during repairs?
bob,i did remove the inner gear but replaced it in same spot.the dist was not removed but motor had slipped timing or jumped timing.does this engine time off of #1 cylinder ?if not which cylinder needs to be timed off of tdc.

Off of either number 1 or number 4, depending on how you set up the chain and gears. Sending you the info right from the GM manual, this should work for you. If you took the distributor out, we may have to bring it up to TDC on number 1 cylinder after you get it back together and reset it all, if not this should work for you.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 4WD

Timing Chain and Sprockets Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 23523-F Balancer Remover and Installer
J 5825-A Crankshaft Gear Remover

Object Number: 188000  Size: SH

Important: Once the composite engine front cover is removed, DO NOT reinstall the engine front cover. Always install a NEW engine front cover.

1. Remove the engine front cover.
  2. Remove the crankshaft position sensor reluctor ring.
    Object Number: 11503  Size: SH

3. Check the timing chain free play.
  4. Rotate the crankshaft until:
    1. The timing marks on both sprockets line up.
    2. The number four cylinder is at top dead center (TDC) of the compression stroke.

Object Number: 330581  Size: SH

5. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolts.
    Object Number: 330584  Size: SH

6. Remove the camshaft sprocket.
  7. Remove the camshaft timing chain.
    Object Number: 11506  Size: SH

8. Use the J 5825-A in order to remove the crankshaft sprocket.
  9. If necessary, remove the crankshaft balancer key.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required

J 5590 Installer

Object Number: 32066  Size: SH

1. Install the crankshaft balancer key into the keyway in the crankshaft (if removed). The crankshaft balancer key should be parallel to the crankshaft or with the front of the key slightly lower.
  2. Align the keyway of the crankshaft sprocket with the crankshaft balancer key.
  3. Use the J 5590 and a hammer in order to install the crankshaft sprocket.
    Object Number: 11503  Size: SH

Important: Be sure to align the camshaft and the crankshaft sprocket alignment marks.

4. Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets timing marks.
  5. Look to ensure that the crankshaft sprocket is aligned at the 12 o'clock position and the camshaft sprocket is aligned at the 6 o'clock position.
    Object Number: 330584  Size: SH

6. Install the camshaft sprocket and the camshaft timing chain.
    Object Number: 330581  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

7. Install the camshaft sprocket bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

8. Install the crankshaft position sensor reluctor ring.
  9. Install the engine front cover.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 4WD

Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech