Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1998 Chevy lumina: V6..the intake and exhuaust..valve covers

Customer Question
On a 1998 Chevy lumina...
On a 1998 Chevy lumina 3.1L V6 I need a diagram showing the location of each pushrod for the intake and exhuaust from looking with the valve covers removed only. preferably
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/20/2007
Chevy Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic

Here is a picture of the rocker arm assembly, all of the push rods are of the same length and dont matter which lifter they go into. Usually when you remove them, you keep them in order, because some will develop a wear pattern, but is not absolutly necassary if you didnt keep them in order.

graphic

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

The pushrods on a 1998 Chevy Lumina 3.1L V6 are not all the same length. The intake pushrod is about 5.74" long and the exhaust pushrod is 6.09" long. Also the sketch provided does not identify the intake or exhaust valve locations or pushrods

Sorry,

I meant that all of the intake are the same, and all of the exaust are the same length.

Are you having trouble identifing them?

Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: I can identify the pushrods but I can not identify the places where they are supposed to go. I did originally take them out and put them in a rack to keep them in order of removal unfortunatly wind came up and blew it over and of course the pushrods were mixed up so I am not sure which goes where. I just need to identify which valves on the head are which so I can put a pushrod for the rocker arm for the appropriate valve. The heads are already torqued in place and also the intake plenums. So if there are 12 pushrods total I need to see the placement of the valves. For example the diagram below shown looking at it like the engine is installed with the front of the motor to the left with the pullys etc. The radiator towards the bottom of the page. I need to see the correct order of pushrods. I=intake Pushrods E=exhaust Pushrods. If you can change this diagram so the pushrods are in correct order, That will answer my question.

I E    I E    I E<====Pushrod location(typ)
engine                        need real locations
front

I E     I E   I E

Radiator and front of car

This is about all i have. If you look at the push rods in the back ground, you will see that the ones on the ends are the longer ones, and also the 3rd one in from the left. I cant tell if they are intake or exaust but if you were to put a shorter one in there, you would notice the difference right away. I would say the longer ones are for the intake valves.

I have just rechecked with another expert and the longer ones are for the exaust.
Sorry, I figured it out already..thanks anyhow.

If i have helped you PLEASE accept this answer, i noticed you did not accept the last answer you recieved about your coolant leak.

Thanks again.

Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Sorry but your information you provided is not what I asked for. I asked for the placement of the intake and exhaust pushrods (meaning the actual installed location) I even provided a diagram to help you provide an answer. I did not want to take the Intake plenums off to see where the valves were at the time I asked you this question. I was hoping that someone knew. Dont worry, no one else could answer either correctly at least. You provided information that I already knew. Due to my situation the time frame was important and I figured it out myself. I have since reassembled my engine and it is now operational. Problem solved.

Fair enough.

Thanks for asking!

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic