Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

remove the heating/ventilation module from a 1999 s-10 blazer?

how do you remove the...
how do you remove the heating/ventilation module from a 1999 s-10 blazer?
1/15/2007
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Tis one if tuff. It requires removing the complete dash pad and the right front inner fender panel. If you still feel you want to do the job, let me know if it has manual or automatic AC and repost here and I will send instructions.
I' ve got the dash out already but i had no idea the inner fender had to come out! automatic AC?

After you get the inner fender panel out of the way, you may be able to just take the rear half of it loose, there are 3 nuts, 10mm on the lower right side of the firewall one is so close to the exhaust manifold that you will need to use an end wrench on it. There is also a small heat shield between 2 of the nuts that is important to reinstall. These are on the bottom toward the passenger side of the firewall close to the right side exhaust manifold at the firewall. If you get in trouble or need other information, just yell. Post here and I will see it. One hidden nut behind the blower motor resistor, in the hole under it. Good luck.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 4WD

Heater/Vent Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 281206  Size: SH

1. Remove the instrument panel.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
  3. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, cut (1) the outer layer of the A/C evaporator and blower module in order to access the service access cover. Refer to Blower Motor and Fan Replacement .
  4. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover mounting screws.
  5. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover.
  6. On vehicles without automatic climate control, remove the blower motor resistor.

Important: Mark and use the same mounting bolt (located behind the A/C evaporator and blower module) for the heater assembly during the installation process. Other mounting bolts are longer and will obstruct the operation of the temperature door.

7. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.
    Object Number: 1595  Size: SH

8. On vehicles with A/C only, remove the right wheel house panel.
  9. On vehicles with A/C only, raise and support vehicle.
  10. On vehicles with A/C only, remove the front right tire.
  11. On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.
  12. On the Utility only, slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield toward the front of the vehicle.
  13. Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts.
  14. On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
  15. Remove the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle.

Important: The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.

16. On the Utility only, while an assistant inside the vehicle pulls the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module approximately 1 inch back, remove the 2 heat/vent module mounting studs.
  17. On vehicles with A/C only, lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 529580  Size: SH

18. On vehicles with a 2.2L engine only, remove the engine wiring harness bracket located at the rear of the intake manifold.
  19. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection.
  20. Remove the heat/vent module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater connection.

21. On the Utility only, loosen the heat/vent module mounting studs until the threads are free from the heat/vent module.
  22. Disconnect all of the electrical connectors from the heat/vent module.
  23. Disconnect all of the vacuum lines from the heater assembly.
  24. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  25. Remove the heat/vent module from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 529580  Size: SH

1. If replacing the heat/vent module, transfer the components from the old heat/vent module as necessary.

Important: Before installing the heat/vent module to the vehicle, ensure that the heat/vent module mounting studs are located in the proper positions.

2. Install the heat/vent module to the vehicle.
  3. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core.
  4. Connect all of the vacuum lines to the heater assembly.
  5. Connect all of the electrical connectors to the heat/vent module.
  6. Install the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle approximately halfway into the threads.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

7. On the Utility only, install the heat/vent module mounting stud located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater hoses connection in the engine compartment.

Tighten
    Tighten the heat/vent module mounting stud to 4.5 N·m (22 lb in).

8. On vehicles with A/C only, raise the vehicle. On the Utility only, install the bottom right heat/vent mounting studs. Ask an assistant to pull the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module back from inside the vehicle.
  9. Tighten
    Tighten the heat/vent module mounting studs to 4.5 N·m (22 lb in).

10. On the Utility only, install the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
  11. Install the heater/vent module mounting nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the heat/vent module mounting nuts to 4.5 N·m (22 lb in).

12. On the Utility only, slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield into the original position.
  13. On the Utility only, install the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws 2.2 N·m (19 lb in).

Object Number: 1595  Size: SH

14. On vehicles with A/C only, install the right front tire.
  15. On vehicles with A/C only, lower the vehicle.
  16. Install the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle.

Tighten
    Tighten the heat/vent module mounting bolt to 4.5 N·m (22 lb in).

17. On vehicles with A/C only, install the right wheel house panel.
    Object Number: 529580  Size: SH

18. Install the heat/vent module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater connection.

Tighten
    Tighten the heat/vent module mounting nut to 4.5 N·m (22 lb in).

19. Install the heat/vent module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection.

Tighten

20. On vehicles with the 2.2L engine only, install the engine wiring harness bracket located at the rear of the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 281206  Size: SH

21. Install the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.

Tighten

22. On vehicles without automatic climate control, install the blower motor resistor.
  23. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, install the service access cover.
  24. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, install the service access cover mounting screws.
  25. On vehicles with automatic climate control only, install the outer layer of the A/C evaporator and blower module. Refer to Blower Motor and Fan Replacement .
  26. Refill the engine coolant.
  27. Install the instrument panel.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 4WD

Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
System must be slow today, just saw the bonus. Thank you very, very much.
Reply to Bob's Post: I been thinking that the heater core might not be the problem. I' ll tell you the problem is i' ve been losing heat for the last two years and that i flushed the system this year. the temp gets to 195 degrees and stays there. i was wondering if any of the actuators might be bad. I could go down the road and get heat but as soon as i slowed down or stopped the heat would get cool or cold. what else do you have as possibilities for the problem. All the hoses get hot, also. could it be the controls?
If the core is still connected, run the motor until it is up to operating temperature and then feel the heater hoses at the firewall. They both need to be good and hot. If they are not hot and equal, the core is restricted. This is the most common cause on your truck. It is possible to have a mode door problem but it will be hard to test the system with the dash out. Plus it is an automatic AC and requires a class 2 scan tool to run function tests on the mode doors and control panel. Let me know where your at and what you find.
I didn' t know what you meant, but i think i have manual ac.
If it has a cable control from the control panel to the heater control doors, it is manual. If it has electric motors or a control on the dash that is marked in degrees, it is automatic. The get tested in a similar way. First make sure the heater hoses get hot, both of them. If you move the temp control lever and can see or hear the mode door for heat open, that eliminates the door as a possible cause.
thanks a lot i appreciate all the help. i will just change the core then check. if that is not it i will be back. i didn' t think getting the dash out was that bad so i'll take my chances with the core. thanks again
Good chance that is the problem, but I will be here later if you need me. Good luck.
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech