Chevy man
Chevy man, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Chevy products
201885

2001 chevy venture: van..Security light..dash car wont start..jump

Customer Question

2001 chevy venture van. Just replaced the battery. Security light now on dash car won't start without a jump. What did I do wrong? What can I do to fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 10 years ago.
Are you saying that if the battery is jumped, the car will start and run?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: At first the battery would take a jump...no problem. I took it to Wal-Mart to have it checked and replaced if nec. It tested bad, they disconnected but a holddown bolt was stripped out and said they couldn't replace it. After many attempts it jumped.(Security light started coming on) I got it home and replaced battery. It tried to start. On next attempt nothing, not even a dome light went on. Jumped it and will start but not on its own. Security light still flashing on.
The security light isn't causing your battery to be dead but the dead battery may be ptting the light on. You need to resolve the battery issues first whether it be a bad battery or bad cable connection. Don't worry babot the security light until you get the car to crank over.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: This does not answer my problem. A new battery is in place...vehicle will only start with a jump. Before replacement it would start with jump as well as if it had been running aka alternator charging it. Now only starts with jump, security light flashing. Help me.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
This does not answer my problem. A new battery is in place...vehicle will only start with a jump. Before replacement it would start with jump as well as if it had been running aka alternator charging it. Now only starts with jump, security light flashing. Help me.
I already told you. You either have a bad battery or a bad connection at the battery cable. Solve that first and then worry about the security light if it's still on. It likely won't be.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: The security light did not come on until Walmart tried to remove the old battery, then the security light came on along once the vehicle is started (cranked over). We replaced the bad battery and the security light is still coming on. Are you suggesting a bad cable and bad new battery happened at the same time that the security light started flashing? My question is: What is causing the security light to flash?

Are you still having to jump the car?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: Yes. The only way to start the car after Walmart disconnected the old battery and after replacing the old with a new battery now is by jump starting it. Once it starts the security light starts flashing. If you turn the van off, it will not restart without a jump. Before you had to jump it only if the vehicle was not running for 24 hours. Otherwise the alternator was charging the old battery when being driven.

Again......... fix the battery problem first. The low voltage coult be what's putting the security light on.