Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic: find anything..Freeway..fuse box..sensors…

Customer Question
Our 1989 Chevy Caprice Classic...
Our 1989 Chevy Caprice Classic horn is not working. I can't find anything that looks like the fuse, have tried to install another (FIAMM 72102 Freeway Blaster Horn compatible with most, including GM vehicles which the Pep Boys rep said would work because Chevy was put out by GM??), but the center of the jumper wire was not large enough to fit over the center of the horn for the single wire installation, and even with the replacement of the new horn with the two wire installation, the horn still did not work.

1- I can't find the fuse anywhere (I can't tell what the little white 1" x 1" box is to the left of a 3" x 3" box to the left of the fuse box, nor am I able to open it up)

2-I'm not sure how to get to, test, or replace the horn sensors. I can't find ANYTHING on replacing the horn either on-line or in the Haynes manual. Help! What should I do?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Chevy
Relist: No answer yet.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/6/2006
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 11 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Have you tried checking for voltage at the horn when the switch is depressed (green wire)? If you have voltage there, then the problem is the horn. If no voltage, check for a relay that works the horn in the convinence center, where the turn signal flasher is located. It will be square and a couple of inches big. Sorry, can't remember the color want to say green or white. There may be another relay there that works the key buzzer, you could identify this one by leaving the key off and in the switch so the buzzer sounds and then feel for the relay that is buzzing, thus eliminating it as the horn relay. Check for voltage to the relay. Also to check the horn switch on the steering wheel, hook a volt meter or test light to 12 volts and check the black wire that goes up the steering column in the turn signal switch harness for ground. Putting power into the wire, or using it for ground, when you push the horn switch you should get 12 volts or the test light should come on as the horn switch grounds the circuit to energize the relay to put voltage to the horn.

If this has been helpful, please click accept. If you have further questions just drop a note as they are all included. Good luck.

Bob

Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech