Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1996 chevy lumina: you remove an alternator

Customer Question
How do you remove an...
How do you remove an alternator from a 1996 chevy lumina 3.4 auto.???It seems like everything is the way.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/9/2006
Chevy Mechanic: MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech replied 11 years ago
MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech

Hello

Yeah alternator is buried but here you go

If you have any questions just ask

AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE VEHICLES THROUGH 1994

See Figures 10, 11 and 12

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Remove the serpentine belt, as outlined in Routine Maintenance of this section.

4. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and set it aside.

5. Unfasten the upper alternator stud nut and remove the power steering pipe retaining clip from the stud.

6. Loosen the upper alternator stud.

7. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

8. Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies.

9. Unfasten the right engine splash shield upper retaining clips, then pull down the shield.

10. Remove the upper alternator stud.

11. Remove the cotter pin and lower ball joint castle nut from the right lower ball joint, then separate the lower ball joint from the lower control arm.

12. Remove the metal halfshaft shield retaining screws, then remove the shield.

13. If equipped, detach the knock sensor electrical connector.

14. Disconnect the right halfshaft from the transaxle.

15. Remove the front exhaust pipe and converter assembly.

16. Unfasten the lower alternator mounting bolt.

17. Remove the alternator rear brace-to-alternator bolt. The bolt can best be accessed using a 4 ft. (1.2m) extension through the left side wheel well opening.

18. Remove the alternator rear brace nut from the engine. The nut can be best accessed through the right wheel well behind the alternator.

19. Remove the alternator from the mounting bracket.

20. Detach the electrical connector from the alternator.

21. Unfasten the battery wire nut from the alternator stud, then disconnect the battery positive lead from the alternator output terminal.

22. Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Removal and installation of the alternator shield-1993 3.4L engine with an automatic transaxle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Alternator mounting-1993 3.4L engine shown

To install:

1. Attach the alternator electrical connector and battery wire to the alternator. Tighten the mounting nut on the battery wire to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

2. Position the alternator and loosely install the mounting bolts. If the replacement alternator does not fit into the bracket, remove the adhesive-backed shim from the rear of the alternator bracket.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: If the replacement alternator does not fit properly, remove the shim from the rear of the bracket

1. Install the alternator rear brace, cooling duct bracket and mounting. Access the bolt through the left wheel opening using a 4 ft. (1.2m) extension.

2. Tighten the mounting bolts as follows:

1. Rear brace bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)

2. Rear brace nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

3. Lower mounting bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

3. Install the front exhaust pipe and converter assembly.

4. Connect the right halfshaft to the transaxle.

5. Install the metal drive axle shield and retaining screws.

6. If equipped, attach the knock sensor electrical connector.

7. Connect the lower ball joint to the lower control arm, then tighten the castle nut to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).

8. Loosely install the upper alternator mounting stud.

9. Install the right engine splash shield, and secure with the retaining clips.

10. Install the tire and wheel assemblies, then carefully lower the vehicle.

11. Tighten the alternator mounting stud to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

12. Install the power steering pipe retaining clip and mounting nut.

13. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.

14. Install the serpentine belt, as outlined in Routine Maintenance of this repair guide.

15. Connect the negative battery cable.

16. Install the air cleaner assembly.

MechanicMan
MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech