Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Easy way to replace Alternator on 1999 Chevy Venture Van

Customer Question
Is there another way to...
Is there another way to replace the Alternator on a 1999 Chevy Venture without rotating the engine?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2006
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 11 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

If you have the 3.4 with the Delphi or the Valeo Alternator, there really isn't an easier or better way then turning Engine. Those vans are kinda strapped for room.

If you don't have the Removal or Install Instructions let me know & I will post them

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics
Reply to Lurch's Post: Do you have to un attach anything else besides the engine mount brackets to turn the engine? The Haynes Manual does not say anything else, but I see that the exhaust pipe should probably need to be removed?
I have had to unbolt Exhaust, but usually you don't need to because the motor isn't moved that much.}
have also spent about 6 - 7 Hours taking Alternator out without moving engine, but it is a REAL pain & wouldn't try it again

3.4L Engine

There are two different alternators used on the 3.4L engine. Domestic vehicles with rear air conditioning require the larger output Delphi CS144 (140AMP) KG9 alternator. Without rear air conditioning, they come equipped with the Valeo A13VI+ (K68) 105 AMP alternator.

DELPHI CS 144 (KG9)

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the serpentine belt from the alternator pulley

3. Remove the windshield wiper system module cover.

4. Disconnect the windshield wiper motor crank arm link from the wiper motor and move it aside

5. Bring the wiper arms to a vertical position on the windshield for access.

6. Remove the engine mount strut bracket bolts and rotate the engine forward.

7. Disconnect the electrical connections (PLIS plug) from the alternator and remove the nut and the positive lead from the output terminal (BAT) of the alternator.

8. Remove the front brace on the alternator.

9. Remove the alternator's rear brace.

10. Remove the pivot bolt and nut from the alternator.

Make sure to observe the necessary safety precautions for the next step.

1. Install a floor jack at the center front of the frame. Remove the front frame bolts, lower the frame 3 inches.

Ensure that lowering the frame does not interfere with the bumper fascia or subsequent fascia damage may result.

1. Remove the alternator.

See Figure 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Delphi CS144 alternator mounting. The Valeo A13VI+ is similar

To install:

1. Locate the alternator in its appropriate place on the engine.

2. Using the floor jack, raise the frame and install new front frame bolts. When secured, remove the floor jack.

3. Install the pivot bolt and nut and torque to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

4. Install the rear brace onto the alternator.

5. Install the alternator's front brace.

6. Reconnect the battery positive lead to the alternator output (BAT) terminal and tighten the nut.

7. Plug in the electrical connections (PLIS plug) to the alternator.

8. Rotate the engine rearward and allow it to settle into its proper position. Install the engine mount strut bracket bolts.

9. Move the windshield wipers to the "park" position, and secure the wiper motor crank arm link to the wiper motor.

10. Install the wiper system module cover.

11. Install the serpentine belt.

12. Connect the negative battery cable.

VALEO a13v+ (k68)

2. Remove the serpentine belt from the alternator pulley.

4. Disconnect the windshield wiper motor crank arm link from the wiper motor and move it aside.

7. Disconnect the electrical connections at the alternator.

8. Remove the nut and battery positive lead to the alternator output "BAT" terminal.

9. Remove the alternator's rear brace.

10. Remove the front brace from the alternator.

11. Remove the mounting bolts from the alternator.

12. Remove the pivot bolt and nut from the alternator and set the alternator aside.

13. Remove the alternator mounting bracket from the engine and remove the alternator. See the diagram

See Figures 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Alternator mounting bracket and fastener tightening sequence.

To install:

1. Place the alternator on the engine and install the mounting bracket to the engine.

2. Install the pivot bolt and nut and torque to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

3. Install the rear brace onto the alternator.

4. Install the alternator's front brace.

5. Reconnect the battery positive lead to the alternator output (BAT) terminal and tighten the nut.

6. Plug in the electrical connections (PLIS plug) to the alternator.

7. Rotate the engine rearward and allow it to settle into its proper position. Install the engine mount strut bracket bolts.

8. Move the windshield wipers to the "park" position, and secure the wiper motor crank arm link to the wiper motor.

9. Install the wiper system module cover.

10. Install the serpentine belt.

11. Connect the negative battery cable.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics