Cell Phones

Ask a Cell Phones Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Cell Phones

DROPPED MY PHONE IN WATER, NOW NOT WORKING. Droid, not sure…

Customer Question
DROPPED MY PHONE IN...

DROPPED MY PHONE IN WATER, NOW NOT WORKING

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone?

Droid, not sure what model, brand new 3 months old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your phone? What have you tried so far?

Since last night, used a low heat hair dryer on it, worked some, blinking on off this am until about 1/2 hour ago. now just a yellow triange comes up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I do have insurance

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cell Phones
12/31/2017
Cell Phone Technician: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 1 month ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

In the tragic event of getting something like a phone wet the outcome is rarely good. However, the chances greatly depend on how quickly you take action. While liquid damage is completely dictated on a case by case basis, at least part of the time, it can be fixed as long as you don't wait too long before and don't do anything to damage the device further.

While any kind of liquid can damage electronics, some are more severe than others. Acidic substances (such as OJ, soda, beer, etc ) can eat away at delicate electronic components and failure rates with these type of liquids is much higher than coming into contact with water.

If the Phone was exposed to water in the last day then it is VERY unlikely the phone has completely dried out.

So, if the device is not turned off, do so now. Also, remove the battery if it's user removable.

Things you should NOT do:

Do NOT try to turn it on again for the moment as this may cause further damage.

Do NOT plug it into your charger. You can short circuit the logic board or other internal components. The more you try to turn it on and use it during this important window of treatment increases the likelihood of further damage.

Do NOT use heat (such as a hair dryer or heater) to further the drying process as they may contribute to further failure.

Things you SHOULD DO:

Professional service may be best, ***** ***** your insurance and the cost.

However, if the device has ONLY come into contact with plain water, you may try the following.

Enclose the device in a plastic bag with a cup or two of dry, uncooked white rice. It's important that you leave it in there for AT LEAST 48 to 72 hours or more in order to pull the moisture out of the internal components and into the rice. You can wrap the phone LOOSELY in a paper towel if you are worried about rice getting into any ports.

There is nothing you can do to guarantee full functionality and little more you can do, personally, to further improve the situation at this point in time but to wait and see if the phone works once it is completely dry.

Professional service is always preferred but the above may save devices with minimal contact to water.

Please note: I can provide expert advice and information only - not for the successful repair of your Phone. When troubleshooting electronic issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger.

Good luck!

John T. F., Apple Consultant