Cell Phones

Cellphone repair questions? Ask a cellphone technician ASAP

My gateway isn't working correctly, especially there is no…

Customer Question
My gateway isn't working...

My gateway isn't working correctly, especially there is no wi-fi.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

3801hgv, and I've had it a long time

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The wifi hasn't worked in quite a while but I didn't think I needed it. Then had a new computer installed today and tried to set up wifi. Wouldn't work. Tech said it was the gateway.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess not.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cell Phones
is anyone there?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
please call me since all these screens that have popped up have confused me.
The tech here tried many things but couldn't get wifi to work.
9/18/2017
Cell Phone Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Is the 'gateway' the modem box or router box for your local internet and network?

Or is the 'Gateway' a Gateway brand computer?

Either way, I hope I can help you.

I guess it's the modem box. It has lights on the front for : ethernet, wireless, homepha, broadband and service. It says AT&T Uverse at the top.
please keep emailing me right now.

OK. If there is no apparent wifi from it, perhaps that is owing to its being reset? which can change the WiFi name.

Evidence of that would be a five-bar, powerful signal, when you try to View Available Wireless Networks on your computer, but with an unfamiliar name or a standard name like

'ATT xxxxx'

for instance.

However, that may not be the fact. Can you View Available Wireless Networks on your computer, and see the 'name' or SSID of your AT&T Uverse modem box?

I know the tech did try the red button on back, reset, but that didn't work. The SSSID is 2wire714
The 2wire714 does show up but is unavailable.

OK....

What is the exact message text, completely, that is saying it is unavailable, please?

There was no text. the 2wire714 was greyed and the other wifis were dark colored.

I see. That's unusual. Usually none would show up, if your WiFi were simply disabled.

Still, that is worth one brief check. Please tell me what Windows (7, 8, 8.1, or 10) you have on your computer?

(If Windows 8.x or Windows 10, try going to Settings, and see what the Network settings say, whether WiFi is enabled, and whether Airplane Mode is turned Off.)

I have Windows 10. The tech who was here tried those options and they didn't work.

It sounds to me as if your WiFi adapter or WiFi card, isn't working.

Assuming that is the case, it might be best to get an easy-to-install, inexpensive, USB WiFi adapter, plug it into a USB port after installing its software, and have WiFi again that way.

(-Or has that been tried already?)

Such an adapter would be like this one, for instance:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/600Mbps-Mini-Wireless-Dual-Band-2-4-5GHz-USB-Wifi-Adapter-LAN-Antenna-Network-Adapter-802-11ac-a-b-g-n/213749537?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2961&adid=22222222227102270099&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=218138381262&wl4=pla-353370401429&wl5=9008129&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113509951&wl11=online&wl12=213749537&wl13=&veh=sem

which costs less than $12 or so.

Does that sound like an answer, or at least, like something to try?

Your PC has been around for a while you said, I think - so its WiFi adapter would have had a chance to go bad.

No, this is a brand new computer, just installed today.
The wifi light on the modem has been on sometimes and off other times. It is flaky. Now it is off permanently.

Oh. Do you have any other computer, or any other device that uses WiFi such as a smartphone, to try to connect to the WiFi modem with?

No, I don't. And the technician who was here this AM tried to connect to 2wire714 using his smart phone and that failed to connect also. I tried in the past to get my Kindle to connect and it wouldn't. It said no wifi.

Then... you either need to reconfigure the modem or router box, with a cable to it from an Ethernet port on a computer, to one of the common Ethernet ports on it... or else you would need a replacement modem, maybe.

Or just maybe, a router to add to the modem, to provide WiFi capability - but that shouldn't be necessary. It just might be easier and more convenient. (If you don't have DSL internet, that is.)

what are you saying? Just send a new modem. It seems obvious that is what I need. You have wasted most of my day with this ridiculous way of communicating, via text message and my sending emails. I have already complained bitterly about this treatment!
of course, I have DSL internet.

I'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated. I have to say, I'm not with your Internet company. I work for JustAnswer. What company provides your DSL internet service, please?

AT&T. I thought I was talking to AT&T.
I went to ATTSupport and somehow I got you. How do I actually get AT&T?
I repeat, I don't want your JustAnswer service. I don't call it a service. I paid $25 and I want that money refunded.

OK... you have internet if not phone service too... you should be able to contact ATT by phone here:

(###) ###-####/p>

about your DSL internet problem....

and you can try this page to try to 'Fix it now' where your DSL internet is concerned:

https://ufix.att.com/portal/index.html?referrerId=4&goTab=INTERNET

though I don't know how well it will work for you.

Since you contacted us by mistake, don't worry about it. But, I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.