Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My ex-Orange Nokia 6300 is unlocked. I want to transfer the

Customer Question

My ex-Orange Nokia 6300 is unlocked. I want to transfer the contacts in the phone memory onto a new Giffgaff SIM card. It will happily transfer contact using the old Orange SIM card but won't let me either move or save my contacts to the new SIM. It just says ';contacts not saved' or 'contacts not moved'. It won't even let me save a new contact onto the new SIM whci I have activated with giff gaff. Any ideas
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Be warned: GiffGaff SIM cards only hold up to 100 contacts. So that might be what is causing the error messages, if you have more than 100 contacts that you are trying to save or transfer.Check on the SIM as to whether some contacts got there, to doubly confirm (or disprove) this supposition. I would advise that you try transfer of the contacts by a different method than through or onto SIM card. Since you are not changing phones (it doesn't sound like it) then perhaps what you need is to sync the phone's contacts to a source outside the phone, e.g. a computer file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell, I have fewer than 50 contacts on the phone. no contacts have moved across - the SIM is empty. The unlocked Nokia 6300 allows me to swap contacts between the old Orange SIM and the ex-Orange phone but refuses to allow me to move contacts or save anything onto the new SIM when the new SIM is installed. I need to use the new SIM in my car so I have to move my contacts from the 6300 or from the Orange SIM onto the Giffgaff SIM?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
At this point I genuinely don't know how to solve the problem, so I will just ask, before turning over the case to anyone else:- what procedure do you go through, to try to write or copy Contacts to the GiffGaff SIM card ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Menu
Contacts
Scroll down to 'Move Contacts' or 'Copy Contacts'
Press 'Select'
Select "Copy from Phone to SIM"
Press 'Select'
Phone asks "Copy Contacts" or "Move Contacts"
Press "Yes"
Phone says "26 contacts not copied/moved"
Press OK and phone goes back to MenuIf I write a new contact,
I select SIM card memory
I enter the new number and go to "Save"
I then enter the first and last names and scroll down to "Save"
Press 'Save"
The phone says "Saving to Sim card failed"
If I select "Phone and SIM' memory, it only saves to the Phone and not to the SIM.I have checked that the SIM is fully activated
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Something about the SIM is not writeable. That's obvious enough.But what to do about it, I do not know - so I have Opted Out, with apologies. Another Expert with something to offer on this matter may pick up the case, at no extra charge to you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Malcolm,I have read through the previous notes, and the SIM card appears to be corrupted - you will need to get a new SIM card and arrange with GiffGaff to have your existing number ported onto it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mmmm - then I will keep this question open until I have managed to do as you suggest. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying back.I'll be here if you need anything else at all.Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GiggGaff assure me there is nothing wrong with my SIM as the phone works receiving and making calls and sending and receiving texts. They say the problem must be with the phone settings. So over to you. Send me a list of exactly what all the settings on my phone should be to enable the contacts on the phone memory to be moved or copied to the SIM. That seems like a reasonable base line from which to begin? I know little of these things but it seems to me that we need to solve why my old Orange SIM still works normally in this unlocked phone but the new Giffgaff SIM does not.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing on the phone that needs to be enabled to allow you to copy the contacts to the SIM.Simply go to Contacts and press the Navigation key, then scroll to Copy contacts or Move contacts and press the Navigation key again.Highlight From phone to SIM and press the Navigation key once more.The calls and texts do not utilise the storage part of the SIM card, so you can still carry those out if the SIM storage is corrupt.You can confirm this by testing the SIM in a different phone and check if you can save contacts to it there. Or you can test a different SIM in your Nokia and try to save contacts to it to prove that the phone's settings are all correct.