Cell Phones

Cellphone repair questions? Ask a cellphone technician ASAP

I have an unlocked iPhone 6s that I just started using on…

Customer Question
I have an unlocked...

I have an unlocked iPhone 6s that I just started using on Consumer Cellular, everything works except for the SMS, alerts I use to get from my banks are not working....I tried an experiment and was able to send an e-mail to my phone but it came from T-Mobile, I use to be on T-Mobile....I think I need to update the SMS/MMS information on the iPhone but there appears to be no way to do that....any thoughts?

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

IMessage works

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cell Phones
2/15/2016
Cell Phone Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Generally, if SMS texting is not working, one needs to

1: make sure you have texting as a service covered/provided by your carrier (Consumer Cellular I presume)

2: make sure you stil have minutes, or bandwidth amounts, etc., for the texting part of your service.

(both of the above require that you contact Consumer Cellular and check with them.)

3: check your SMS setup options on your iPhone. Make sure SMS is setup there.

Did all that already, the issue is that it does not work from Bank of America and Citibank, suspect some common third party software that is used by both to send texts. Confirmed Consumer Cellular is not on supported carrier list for Bank of America. Confirmed number on http://www.freecarrierlookup.com/, says it is with T-Mobile, which is technically correct.Any ideas on what third party software might be in use?

No. I would not know about BoA third party software, I couldn't even guess at it, never having had any bank employment nor consultancy to any bank.

I would advise you to notify Bank of America - if you can find the right department of that rather huge banking organization.

At the very least they'll be tipped off to a difficulty and have a chance to improve their service.

As for your present problem: what app are you using for SMS Text messaging on your handheld?

Are your texts filtered in any way?

Are you sure those texts aren't still being sent to a previous device that you registered with BoA / Citib. ? I don't see how it could be sent that specifically, but it is remotely worth asking about in case it opens lines of thought or inquiry.