Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an LG 440G TRACFONE. MY FRIEND WENT TO MEXICO FROM US

Customer Question

I have an LG 440G TRACFONE. MY FRIEND WENT TO MEXICO FROM US (nc). now when i try to call i hear a little ping, no ringing, no message, nothing but silence. is there a problem with a country code or am i blocked? i send text and it shows the green arrow like it went through, but how do i know it was received? thanks
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

While it is possible that your specific phone number is ***** I doubt that a friend of yours would do so, suddenly and without any indication, on a trip to Mexico for vacation (or business) purposes.

A simple test (which also will see whether the problem is at the other end, with your friend's phone that is) is to call your friend's number from a different phone. See if it has an identical reaction... if so, the problem is with your friend's phone (or the Mexican phone system in that region) most probably, in that case.

But also: double-check your number. And, how are you dialing the number of your friend? in Mexico, certain dialing may have to be done... and, possibly, your friend's phone won't work if it is out-of-area (i.e. in Mexico.) Are you dialing the number any differently from when it is located within the United States?

And, what is your friend's phone's service provider or carrier? e.g. ATT, Tracfone, Sprint, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i don't know service provider and i did nothing different when i dialed the number in mexico
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

For a TRACFONE, this is the advice, as to dialing an international number. (And your friend's number might be seen by the telephone switching systems, as an international(ly located) number, currently.):

DIAL 1-***-***-****. ( From Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands please dial(###) ###-#### )

Select your language (1-English, 2-Spanish). Listen to dialing instructions. ...

Dial 011 + country code + city code + telephone number.

Let me know whether the (audible) telephone system's response to that is different, please. Thanks.