Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

What is the best reliable GPS available to use on my phone?

Customer Question

I keep using google maps gps but sometimes I lose internet signal on my phone.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That depends upon what phone you have, and if an Android phone, what version of the Android OS it has on it.

If by a 'GPS' you mean a positioning system that finds the location of the cell phone from satellite signals, that's different from Google Maps which (as far as I know) is a mapping utility.

Let me know which of these you mean, and what your cell phone information (maker, model, Android or other OS version #) is, please, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My phone is a note 3.

I go on Google maps then I select directions. I enter my staring address then click start. It starts giving me real time directions like a gps. But if my Internet is down then it does not work

Of course - Google Maps' 'Directions' function is internet-connection-dependent.

Slide finger down from top of phone screen,

then press Settings (gear icon)

then press Connections tab

then press Location Services

then press Access To My Location

and if prompted for Location Consent, press Agree. (Unless Location Services is already On, and you are turning it Off, in which case, either turn it On again, or press Disagree.)

Then press Use GPS Satellites.

Location Services and Geotagging has to be turned On, for your GPS functions to work on the Note 3.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Then I will have to download an app?

It sounds to me as if that's all that is necessary, basically... but it is basically necessary.

If it works, then any GPS app for your version of Android would probably do just fine.

Try it.