Cell Phones

Ask a Cell Phones Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Cell Phones

Just got new iPhone 5. AT&T. How do I setup the voicemail?

Just got new iPhone 5...
Just got new iPhone 5. AT&T. How do I setup the voicemail? I click on the voicemail and it says to enter the ten digit phone number for the mailbox I'm trying to reach?? What am I doing incorrectly?
9/26/2012
Nalosin
Nalosin, Cell Phone Specialist

Nalosin :

Hello

Nalosin :

and welcome

Nalosin :

I will do my best to help with your question

Nalosin :

Can you please write the exact message you are getting on the phone?

Nalosin :

Please also try to call your own phone number from your iPhone

Nalosin :

you will get a voice telling you about your voicemail

Nalosin :

press *, then end the call

Nalosin :

wait 2 minutes, then open Phone icon and Voicemail

Nalosin :

Let me know if this works

Something like: we need more information to get your message to the appropriate mailbox. Please enter the phone number you are trying to leave a message for or if you have a mailbox on this system, please enter your mailbox number.
Ok. Try all above I wrote and let me know
Get a busy signal when I call my own number
Ok. What happens if you enter your 10 digit phone number when asked?
doesn't recognize it
Ok. Please do this:

Call 611 from your wireless device.
Press the option for Voicemail Help, and then follow the prompts to reset your password.Upon completion, you will receive a temporary password XXXXX free text message.

Then restart your iPhone by holding together Home and Power buttons until Apple logo shows up. After it shows up, release both buttons and wait for phone to restart.
Then try to open voicemail. If asked for password, enter the temporary password XXXXX got.
Nalosin
Nalosin, Cell Phone Specialist
It ended up being an error where the best buy people forgot to reactivate my visual voicemail when I upgraded... thanks
I am glad that I was able to help.
Thank you very much for using JustAnswer.
featured content

How to set up voicemail on iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 allows you to use visual voicemail to track and access your messages. In order to access this feature, though, you'll need to know how to set up voicemail on iPhone 5. This article will help you to set up voicemail on your phone.

Setting up visual voicemail

If you're a new iPhone user, you'll need to set up your iPhone voicemail account before you can use voicemail.

Setting up a visual voicemail account:

1. Tap the phone icon.
  2. Choose the voicemail icon in the lower right corner.
  3. Tap the set up now button.
  4. Create your password and hit done
  5. Enter your new password again, and hit done
  6. You can use a standard greeting or record your own custom greeting. When you're finished, hit done

You'll now be able to access your visual voicemail on your iPhone 5.

Transferring voicemail to your iPhone 5

If you already have an iPhone voicemail account from a previous phone, you can sign in to that account on your iPhone 5.

Transferring your existing voicemail:

1. Start the phone app.
  2. Select the voicemail icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
  3. Hit the set up now button.
  4. Enter the password for your account and hit done
  5. Use the default greeting, or record a custom greeting, and save.

This process should allow you to save any messages that were saved on your old phone. If you've forgotten your password, there's no option to allow you to recover it. You'll need to contact your phone service provider for help resetting the password.

These steps walk you through how to set up voicemail on iPhone 5, but if you're still having problems with your iPhone voicemail settings you may need to contact Apple support.

Nalosin
Nalosin
Nalosin, Cell Phone Specialist