Cell Phones

Ask a Cell Phones Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Cell Phones

I have been trying to set up my Hotmail account in my samsung

Galaxy S2 so that I...
I have been trying to set up my Hotmail account in my samsung Galaxy S2 so that I will get notification when I get mails. I was able to set that up in my Blackberry.
Can you please show me how to set it up on my Samsung.
7/5/2011
Eric, Android Expert

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Here is some simple instructions to set it up using the stock Email app on a Samsung Galaxy:

1. Open the stock email/mail app on your Android
  2. Choose to Add a new account
  3. Put in your email address and password
  4. Choose "Manual" not "Next"
  5. Choose Exchange Account
  6. Where the domain/username is XXXXX XXXXX in your ENTIRE email address
  7. Input your password
  8. Use m.hotmail.com as the Server
  9. Check to "Use Secure Connection (SSL)
  10. Choose to Accept all SSL Certificates

That should be all the information you need to get your Hotmail working on Android.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If not and I have helped you today Please press the Accept Button so I am credited for my time Assisting you! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

Click here and BOOKMARK the page to get me directly with ANY questions in the future! HelpWithAndroid.com

still getting the same msg that setup could not finish, cannot connect to server, edit details.

I am sorry its been so long, I was not able to find any other reason that you cant get your hotmail to work.

If you still haven't gotten it to work, and you would like to try work around I have, let me know.

Eric, Android Expert
I am afraid that I have tried numerous times following your instructions but each time I just get the same message about setup could not finish, unable to connect to server, edit details. The reason why I wanted to sync my hotmail account to my galaxy is so I get notification when I receive mails. In the end, I decided to create a gmail account and that has partially solve my problem.

I really appreciate your help even though my problem was not resolved. In fact the instructions you gave me was posted on the Internet and I had tried that. That was the reason why I came to Justanswer for help with the hope that I will get a solution for my difficulties. I still hope for a solution, meanwhile I hope Justanswer will not charge me for this as I did not get a solution which is the reason I agree to pay.

I just received an email confirming acceptance for payment. I must have hit the accept answer button to post my above reply. I strongly feel that I should not be paying that amount for not getting a solution especially when I have no other reason to use this service again. If and when I get a solution to sync my Hotmail account to my Galaxy from Justanswer, I would not hesitate to make the payment.

Ok, I have been dealing with trying to resolve this for multiple people all week! Seems that Hotmail has changed something and Androids are having issues connecting. I spent a lot of time and actually put together a great workaround. This will allow you to send and receive as your Hotmail account through the Gmail App on your phone AND even let you send and receive as your Hotmail account on gmail.com

In order to allow Gmail to act as your Hotmail email account, just follow these steps. This will allow you to send and receive emails as if you were using that account and not your Gmail account.

1. Log into Gmail.com using the same Google account that is on the Gmail app on your Android.
  2. Click on the gear icon, in the top right of the page
  3. Choose Mail Settings
  4. Choose accounts and import
  5. Scroll down to the Check mail using POP3 and click Add POP3 Email Account
  6. A new box will open
  7. Put in the complete email address that you are trying to add and click next step
  8. Now fill in the username(use your complete email address, not just the name)
  9. Add the password
  10. Choose to leave a copy of retrieved message on server(this is so it still goes to your outlook)
  11. Click Add Account
  12. Now on the next screen leave Yes, I want to be able to send mail as "email account" selected and click next step
  13. Type the name you want to appear as who the email is from when it sends them and chose next step
  14. Leave Send through Gmail selected and click next step
  15. Choose to send verification
  16. Now it will send an email to the email address we are trying to setup with a verification code, get that code and enter it in the box.
  17. Click verify!!

Now when you are in Gmail.com or in your Gmail app, in the stop on the page/app where is says "who" the mail is "FROM" you can select your Gmail account OR your new account we just setup.

After putting in username and password, and click Add Account, msg came back in red saying
Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password. Please contact Microsoft's support team for more information on POP access.

I have logged in to my hotmail account earlier with the same username and password XXXXX no difficulty.

Ok..

On step number 9: Under your password XXXXX will see the server and port number.

Change them to pop3.live.com and port number 995

That should fix it ;]

POP3.live.com and port mumber 995 are both defaulted. Same msg as before. So, not fixed.

Ok, I just set this up myself using an old @live email address(same server as hotmail, pop3.live.com) and it worked instantly. I also just walked someone else through with their hotmail as well.

I am going to look more into the account settings of the live/hotmail accounts and see if I can find a reason yours isn't working as its working for everyone else.

When you are on the screen asking you for the username and password, the same screen with the sever settings.. are you using your username, or the ENTIRE email address?

Do you think it's my broadband provider-Virgin Media. I had no problem before with my Blackberry.
I used the whole email address, my [email protected]

If you were using your entire email address and correct password, the the error you got actually sheds some light on the situation.

There is actually something wrong with your hotmail account, as it will NOT allow ANY app/service to connect to it using POP3, which is the only way to retrieve it. The blackberry may have been working due to the way it collects your emails, but there is no way to be sure.

You will literally have to contact the MS/Live support because they have your POP disabled, and there is NOT an option to enable it yourself.

This is half the reason most people have left Hotmail behind and migrated to Gmail, its a much better service and a much better experience. My suggestion is you sign up for the gmail account of your choice, and have your hotmail's forwarded there and begin using Gmail to reply to your emails and people will eventually begin emailing your Gmail all together. This way any accounts you have setup with you Hotmail, you will still always receive the mails because its forwarded.

Again, thats just a suggestion, but I think after you start using GMail, you'd be happy you changed. The BONUS to using Gmail, is that you will get the emails INSTANTLY on your Android, I actually get the on my phone seconds before they show up in my gmail.com inbox.

I will contact MS/Live Support to see if they could enable the POP for my hotmail account.

make sure you mention the exact error in your email, and you tell them you are setting up Gmails POP Access. That way you know for sure that they enable the right settings for you!

I know this wont be good, but I just want to warn you, they can take a few days to reply usually.

Eric, Android Expert

I know this whole thing has been frustrating for you. PLEASE know you can come back to this question and ask me for any more help you need, I just want to make sure you get things fixed!!

I will update you with the outcome of this saga!!

Please do, at this point I Personally! feel that I need to make sure you end up getting what you need.. whether that means helping you migrate to Gmail, bringing your contacts over from Hotmail, etc.. I will help you for the long run at this point

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Thank you very much for your help and time. As I have just acquired this phone, I am sure I will need more help at some point and I will be sure to contact you. Really appreciate it.

Its no trouble, we will get this working for you one way or another!

Eric, Android Expert