Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

What to do with iPhone only working on speaker?

My iPhone is only working on speaker phone. Otherwise they can hear me but I can not hear them.

Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 6 years ago.

Please take a look at the link below and follow the trouble shooting steps. See if that solves the issue.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Iphone-People-can-Hear-me-but-I-cant-hear-them-Audio-Issue-on-Apple-Iphone-2g-3g-3gs-4-and-5

More about iPhone working on speaker only

If your iPhone begins to only work on speaker, it can cause many inconveniences. Not all phone conversations can be made on speaker phone. Below are a few simple fixes you can try.

Fixing iPhone speaker issues

1. Make sure your phone is not on silent.
  2. Make sure the volume is all the way up. Use the volume button to ensure it is fully on loud.
  3. Make sure the phone is not stuck in headphone mode. This happens when the phone thinks there are headphones plugged in. Something as simple as a piece of lint stuck in the headphone jack can cause this. Check the headphone jack for any debris, and use something small to clean any out.
  4. Double check the phone is not connected to another device. When Bluetooth is ON it will automatically connect to a device it has previously connected to when it is in range. To fix this, turn off the Bluetooth anytime it is not in use.
  5. Restore your iPhone. Make sure all your information is backed up to either iCloud or iTunes, then reset your phone to factory settings. When you log back into your Apple account, all of your information will transfer back over. If this still does not fix the problem, it could be a hardware issue with the phone and may need replaced.
  6. If the speaker or phone itself is damaged, you can take it into your phone provider and look at warranty options. Or, into your local Apple or cell phone repair store to have it fixed.