Cell Phones

Cellphone repair questions? Ask a cellphone technician ASAP

Mike just helped me under ticket number 6174376-357. I got…

Customer Question
Mike just helped me under...
Mike just helped me under ticket number(NNN) NNN-NNNN357. I got all excited because my iPhone was restoring all the apps -- and I did get all my photos back but I still don't have my contacts! Please help me restore my contacts (from original conversation).
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cell Phones
6/28/2010
Cell Phone Technician: Mike, Cell Phone Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike, Cell Phone Technician
Hi, Mike here... unfortunately if restoring your phone with the backup didn't restore your contacts, that means your device was not backed up with the contacts so you're not going to be able to recover them unless you had them synced with a sync service such as MobileMe or Gmail. Did you have your contacts synced with either of these services?

(*note there is no need to accept again, this is just a continuation of your first post)

I did not have my phone backed up with any service. However, I didn't do a restore from my MacBook screen. I simply connected the phone and the sync started. The phone showed a popup that said 'restoring apps' -- I don't recall if it said 'from backup' or not now that I'm panicked again because I lost my calendar as well. I

Is there a way to select a button to say I want my phone restored from a backup (or menu path?). The phone just automatically syncs or my only selection on my MacBook is to 'restore factory settings.' Crimeny, I never would have updated my software had I known there was danger of losing everything.
I see... yes, you may have just done a sync and not a restore. Connect your iPhone to iTunes and go to the Summary tab. Then click the Restore. When it restores it will ask you if you want to restore it as a new phone or restore from backup. Make sure you select to restore from backup. Then select the backup with the time that was just before you did the update today.

Edited by Mike on 6/28/2010 at 12:44 AM EST
It's asking me if I want to backup the settings before resetting the software
Do NOT backup at this point.
It's asking me if I'm sure I want to restore my phone to its factory settings. I assume this means I don't have an option for a backup because no backup exists. Break it to me gently.
No, you're ok so far. This is a two step process. First you restore the phone to factory settings. Then at the end up that process, it will ask you if you want to setup your device as a new phone or restore form backup. That's where you'll select restore from backup. As a side note, I think this may be where the issue occured. You must have selected to setup the device as new when you installed the update. I say this because I don't want you to refrain from installing updates in the future because you don't understand the restore process. Lots of great features get rolled out via updates so I want you to have the confidence to install these updates so you get the most from your phone. But you would install the update/restore the device just as you are now, but when you get to the end your phone will restart (leave it connected to iTunes) and then activate. Then when it reappears in iTunes, you'll get a popup asking you to set it up as a new phone or restore from backup. Select restore from backup.
My contacts are back but not the calendar but I can recreate that. Besides, someone will call me if I miss something and I at least will know who's calling BECAUSE I HAVE MY CONTACTS BACK!

Have a wonderful night -- thanks for support. Do I click "agree" now that this was the same session?
Great! Glad you got them back! You don't need to click ACCEPT again unless you want to of course. I was happy to help with no expectation of receiving further payment. This was really just a follow up of your original question. Thank you! You have a great night as well!