Cell Phones

Cellphone repair questions? Ask a cellphone technician ASAP

how do i transfer photos from samsung soltice phone to dell…

Customer Question
how do i transfer photos...
how do i transfer photos from samsung soltice phone to my dell pc

Tried using control panel, hardware installer, could not identify the hardware (phone camera pictures)- did not work
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cell Phones
6/25/2010
Cell Phone Technician: WirelessChris, Wireless Professional / Franchisee replied 8 years ago
WirelessChris
WirelessChris, Wireless Professional / Franchisee
Hello-

There are 3 ways to transfer photos from the samsung soltice to your pc. I have listed them below; via memory card, via bluetooth or via windows explorer. I hope you find this helpful.

Via Memory Card

To transfer pictures (via a memory card) to a PC requires a microSD Memory Card, Memory Card Adaptor & Memory Card Reader. The microSD memory card MUST first be formatted, by the phone, in order for the phone to create the destination folders. Please note that the minimum size limit for the microSD memory card is 32MB.

Note: This phone will support the use of a microSDHC 16GB capacity memory card. However, for optimal performance Samsung recommends using a card no larger than 2GB.

To learn how to format the microSD memory card, using the phone, click here.

WARNING: Formatting the microSD Memory Card will permanently erase all data

To transfer pictures (via a memory card), from the SGH-A887 (Solstice) phone, to a PC follow the steps below:

Insert the formatted microSD memory card into the memory card slot, located under the battery cover

When correctly inserted, the memory card icon is displayed
From the standby screen, press Menu
Press My Stuff
Press Pictures or Videos to view the contents
Press Manage
Press either Move or Copy
Press each image to check their box or press All to check All boxes
Press either Move or Copy
Press Memory Card
Press either Pictures or Videos
Press Paste Here to Move or Copy the Photo(s)/Video(s) to the microSD memory card
Remove the microSD memory card from the memory card slot
Insert the microSD memory card into the memory card adaptor
Insert the memory card adaptor into the memory card reader
Insert the memory card reader into the USB slot on the PC
Navigate to the desired Photo/Video destination location, using Windows Explorer, then paste the Photo(s)/Video(s) into the destination on the PC

******

Via Bluetooth

Note: Both Bluetooth devices MUST support Bluetooth FTP (File Transfer Profile)

To transfer (via a Bluetooth adaptor) Photo/Video files, from the Samsung SGH-A887 (Solstice) phone, to a PC follow the steps below:

On the Samsung SGH-A887 (Solstice) phone

From the standby screen, turn Bluetooth On
Change the phone’s Bluetooth visibility to On
To learn how to Turn On Bluetooth, click here.
For Bluetooth Visibility instructions, click here.
On the PC

Connect the Bluetooth adaptor to the PC’s USB port
Search for Bluetooth devices
Select the device to pair with the PC
Exchange PIN code(s) on both the PC & phone to pair devices (default pass code is “0000”)
Using My Bluetooth Places, select File Transfer to view the phone’s contents
Copy the desired Photo/Video file
Paste the file in a PC destination
Note: For information or assistance related to configuration, specifications and instructions of the Non-Samsung device please contact the manufacturer of said device.

*****

Via Windows Explorer (Mass Storage)

Note: If the Bluetooth feature is currently active on the phone, USB communication between devices will not be available. To transfer files to or from the phone, turn off the Bluetooth functionality or click here for instructions.

WARNING: DO NOT DISCONNECT USB DATA CABLE DURING THE FILE TRANSFER

Important: In order to transfer pictures (via Windows Explorer & a USB cable) to a PC the pictures MUST be located on a formatted microSD Memory Card. The microSD memory card must first be formatted, by the phone, in order for the handset to create the destination folders.

To learn how to format a microSD memory card, using the phone, click here.
For instructions copying or moving pictures to a microSD memory card, click here.
Note: The minimum size limit for the microSD memory card is 32MB. This phone does support the use of a microSDHC 16GB capacity memory card. However, for optimal performance Samsung recommends using a card no larger than 2GB.

To transfer Picture/Video files, using Windows Explorer & a USB cable, between the phone and a PC follow the steps below:

From the standby screen, insure that the USB mode setting is set to either Mass Storage or Ask on Connection
For instructions on changing the USB mode setting, click here.
Connect the USB cable to both the phone's Power/Accessory Interface connector & the PC's USB slot
When successfully connected, the phone will show the connected icon on the top of the display

If prompted, Select the Mass Storage USB setting
If prompted, click "Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer" on the new Removable Disk screen or open Windows Explorer manually

Navigate to the picture/video file location on the memory card or PC
Drag n Drop or copy & paste the picture/video file into the desired destination on the PC or the Pictures or Videos folders on the handset

I connected the usb to pc; deactivated bluetooth and usb mode to mass storage.

the card on the phone is 8mg....is this a problem? do i need to complete any type of coversion with the pictures?

the usb cable turns on an orange arrow when connected to phone

For optimal performance Samsung recommends using a card no larger than 2GB; the 8mg card may be the problem, however it should work as the phone supports a 16gb card.

The pictures do need to be stored on the card (not the phone). If they are not; here is instructions to transfer:
**********************
Insert a formatted microSD memory card into the memory card slot, located under the battery cover
From the standby screen, press Menu
Presss on My Stuff
Press the drop down arrow, located in the top right corner, then press on Phone
Press Pictures
Press Manage then press either Move or Copy
Press the desired Photo(s) to check their box(es)
Press either Move or Copy
Press Memory Card
Press Pictures
Press Paste here to Move or Copy the Photo(s) to the microSD memory card
*************************

When you plug in the usb cable; if successfully connected, it will show the connected icon on the top of the display If prompted, Select the Mass Storage USB setting.

Are you seeing the "connected" icon on your phone?

If still unable to transfer via usb; does your computer have a memory card slot? Do you have a memory card reader that you can use as opposed to transferring directly from phone?

Lastly, does your computer have bluetooth? (if not a bluetooth adapter can be purchased)

A memory card reader would be the least expensive if you need to purchase additional equipment, one may have came with your memory card when you purchased it.

Before purchasing anything though; download Samsung's PC Studio from
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Telephony-SMS-GSM/Samsung-PC-Studio.shtml

After installed; here are instructions on how to transfer using this:

Important!: The Bluetooth feature must first be disabled before initiating a USB connection with the handset, click here for instructions. Prior to connecting the USB cable to the handset, install the latest version of the Samsung PC Studio application. This application installs the necessary USB drivers onto your PC.

Note: The SGH-A887 (Solstice) phone includes support for Digital Rights Management (DRM) which allows you to play or view some purchased or subscription content. These copyright protections may prevent some images, videos, music (including ringtones) and other content from being copied, modified, transferred or forwarded.

WARNING: DO NOT DISCONNECT USB CABLE DURING THE FILE TRANSFER

To transfer Picture files, using PC Studio 3 & a USB cable, to a microSD memory card follow the steps below:

Click here for instructions
From the standby screen, insure that the USB mode setting is set to either PC Studio or Ask on Connection
Click here for or instructions on changing the USB mode setting
Connect the USB cable to both the handset's Power/Accessory Interface connector & the PC's USB slot

If prompted, Select the PC Studio USB setting
From the PC Studio media manager screen, click on the SGH-A887 icon, located in the top right corner
From the phone explorer screen double click on the Pictures folder (Internal Memory)
Click on the Photo file (For multiple files hold down the Ctrl key) to highlight
Right click then click either Copy or Cut (Ctrl C or Ctrl X)
Click on the Pictures (Internal Memory) drop down arrow then click on Pictures under External Memory
Right click in the box then click Paste (Ctrl V) to copy the Photo file(s) from the SGH-A887 (Solstice) handset to the Memory Card
After the file transfer is completed it will be safe to remove the USB data cable from both the handset & PC
Note: To transfer Videos repeat the same steps above clicking on Videos instead of Pictures