Two female and one if not both are peeing outside of the litter box. Possible uti? Haven't talked to a vet. About 2

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Two female and one if not both are peeing outside of the litter box. Possible uti?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the UTI yet? How long has this been going on with the cat?
Customer: No, haven't talked to a vet. About 2 months
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Mia and Lillie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: there have been no changes to their food or litter.
Answered by Dr4Cats in 6 mins 1 month ago
imglogo
Dr4Cats
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, this is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will try to help with your concerns on here. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. I have over 30 years of clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also.

Please try to read each post in its entirety and answer all questions as best you can as the amount of information can be challenging especially if you are on a mobile device.

The site has been having problems with spacing.I hope it is not too bad on your end.

PLEASE NOTE!You will receive an option for a phone call from the systemif you prefer this option, and/or you accept the offer this chat with me will automatically and immediately end as I cannot do calls.I will not be able to respond further in this chat. If you want to continue here with chat just decline or ignore the phone call offer.

Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination, we cannot by law issue a prescription or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review that information. I may have additional questions to best help you.I will be helping multiple customers and typing so please be patient between replies.

Customer
Ty

I am very sorry that you are having this problem. I understand your concern. I do have a few questions.

I just want to be sure I understand the problem clearly.

• To confirm, the cats are eating and drinking, eliminating normally, maintaining weight, and engaged in regular daily routines, but one or both are urinating other places than in the box. Is that correct?
  • Are the cats both spayed?
  • How long have you had each of the cats?
  • How old are the cats?
  • Also, is your kitty strictly indoors? Are there other pets in the home?

Customer
all activities are norm. Both cats are spayed. They are both 3y/o. Indoor cats only.
Customer
We also have a dog who is 4 y/o

Thank you. They have used the box 100% for 3+ years but are now soiling outside the box. Is that correct?

Customer
Correct. Not sure if it's one or both.

Let me give you information on litter box issues in cats that you can use to try to correct this problem.

Customer
We have 2 litter boxes

We recognize that cats who have previously always used the box start going outside the litterbox for one of four reasons:

1. A physical reason like a bladder or bowel problem – any cat who has a change to litter box habits should be checked by your veterinarian to rule out any medical problem that could be contributing to this.

2. Something about the box is not to their liking - we recommend one litterbox per cat. No hoods, no plastic liners, no perfumed or deodorized litters, no strong smelling cleaners or disinfectants, preferably plain scoopable litter, with the box in a quiet, secluded place of the cat's choosing, if possible. Do not put the box near appliances, furnaces, or any other noise generating machines that could startle your cat. Make sure no other pets are bothering your cat near the box. Obviously, keep it clean. The rule for multicat households is one litter box per cat, plus one.

3. Something about the area they are soiling is attracting them there - Any and all soiled areas should be disposed of or cleaned thoroughly and treated with odor neutralizers and deodorizers (if not near the box).

4. Territorial marking – the marking behavior is strongest in unneutered and unspayed cats to attract mates. Spaying and neutering will help greatly with this behavior.

Even in spayed and neutered cats the marking behavior (which is usually stool or urine) is brought on by a sense of fear or insecurity in your cat. Cats mark their territory to send a signal to other cats or perceived intruders to stay away. You noticed I said "perceived" intruders. It's what they think is a threat, whether you do or not. Most often it is another cat (inside or outside), but it can be dog, new baby, new people in the house, a change in your schedule that has made them feel insecure....pretty much anything that could have made them uneasy. They are trying to secure their environment.

Sometimes they eliminate on things that represent (smell) the person that makes them most secure (you). Your clothes, your side of the bed, even right ON you. If you think this may be a marking behavior try to determine what may be in the environment that would make your cat uneasy.

I hope this has helped. We try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible.

Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with, or if you need clarification on anything. I want to be sure that I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Customer
Ok, thanks

You are very welcome!

Since you have no further questions, I will mark this question complete.

You can send me updates and ask me follow-up questions on this problem by coming back to this chat or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. I will respond when I come back on. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your "My Questions” page.You can also start any new questions with “Dr. Cynthia Only” if you wish.

Thanks so much, and kind regards!

JustAnswer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to Veterinary, such as Medical, Legal, Computers, Antiques, Automotive, and more, so if you have any questions in the future in those areas, you can use your JustAnswer membership to obtain assistance from those Experts. Thank you for using our site.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr4Cats
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Dr4Cats
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.