Day lily pollen possibly. Daphne, 10 months

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Day lily pollen possibly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Daphne, 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by petdrz in 2 mins 1 month ago
imglogo
petdrz
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr. Z. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Daphne today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 34 years of experience and would be happy to work with you. While I am not legally able to establish a diagnosis or provide a prescription without the benefit of an in-person exam, I should be able to help you decide what is the best course of action for your pet.

I would like to ask you for a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind to gain a better understanding of what is going on.

**NOTE** This website will automatically offer an upgrade for a premium service phone call. The request is not coming from me and you can simply ignore the prompt by pressing decline. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time but would be happy to continue to chat with you here. If you request a phone call, you should be contacted by a different expert and I will no longer be able to chat with you.

Customer
Ok thanks

I understand that you are concerned about Daphne possibly having exposure to a day lily. Let me see if I can help.

Did she have access to the plant or any part of it including the pollen or even the water in the vase?

Customer
Hi
Customer
All of the above

All parts of these plants are HIGHLY toxic to cats, including even the pollen if it was brushed on her coat. This is a very worrisome situation and if there is even the chance that there was exposure to any part of the plant or even the water from the plant, she should be treated as if she had a toxic exposure and is at risk of developing acute kidney failure. The problem with these cases is that if you wait to see if she shows any symptoms, by the time she does, usually 12-24 hours later, irreversible damage likely already has occurred.

Your best course of action is to have her evaluated and started on IV fluid therapy right away while her kidney values are monitored over the next 2-3 days. The longer you wait to start therapy, the less chance you have of preventing this.

Here is a link with more information about cats and lilies. https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/lovely-lilies-and-curious-cats-dangerous-combination

https://www.aspca.org/news/which-lilies-are-toxic-pets

I would seek out veterinary emergency services right away for treatment over the weekend.

You are more than welcome. Please keep me updated if anything changes. You can reply to this post as it is our private chat, and I will receive a notification and can reply when I am able.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Customer
Thank you

My pleasure!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
petdrz
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
img
imglogo
petdrz
30+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.