My cat started wheezing yesterday. Today she is excessively drooling. It sounds like poison, but i don’t know what to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat started wheezing yesterday. Today she is excessively drooling. It sounds like poison, but i don’t know what to do. I have an appointment scheduled…
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the poison did the cat ingest? Has she vomited?
Customer: I don’t know if it is poison… and she has not vomited.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She’s had an excessive build up of wax in ears. I clean them often, but it is to the point of concern.
Answered by VTErin in 3 hours 3 months ago
imglogo
VTErin
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for choosing Just Answer to discuss your pet's needs! My name is ***** ***** I have over 15 years of extensive experience in both a clinical setting and with animal poison control. My areas of expertise are animal poisoning, cat and dog health, and cat behavior. I am also an AAFP-certified cat-friendly veterinary professional. I will be happy to assist you today!

I'll do my best to provide you with helpful information for any concerns you may have about your pet's health, but please keep in mind that in some cases, a visit to the vet is necessary for proper care. I apologize in advance if it takes me a bit of time to respond, I want to ensure I provide you with the most accurate and comprehensive information. Thank you for your patience!

• I'm sorry to hear your kitty isn't feeling well! Is she still wheezing on top of the drooling?

I understand that you may be offline at the moment, and I wanted to provide you with some basic information that may help answer your question since I am also hopping offline. If you have any further questions or need more information after reading this, please don't hesitate to reach out to me to continue the discussion. Just leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I am online again. Thank you for reaching out!

When a cat drools or foams, the cause is usually related to one of the following issues:

• Nausea

• A bad taste in their mouth (certain medications or bitter plants can cause this reaction)

• Mouth pain caused by ulceration or infection

• Toxins

• Neurological conditions (less common)

In order to reduce drooling from a bad taste, you can try offering a tasty treat or a small meal. This may also help to alleviate any nausea. Sometimes, feeding a cat will cause the drooling to stop.

However, if your cat continues to drool, has bloody saliva, or displays other signs such as stumbling, trembling, shaking, or uneven pupil sizes, this may be indicative of a more serious condition such as ulceration, infection, or neurological conditions. In such cases, it is important to have your cat evaluated by a veterinarian.

Signs such as small amounts of bleeding, reduced appetite, tooth grinding, or continued drooling may indicate a dental issue and can usually wait until a routine appointment with a daytime vet. However, if you notice any neurological signs such as stumbling, shaking, trembling, or other similar issues, it is crucial to have your cat evaluated at an ER clinic immediately.

Wheezing is also a sign of difficulty breathing, though it can be seen in combination with an upper respiratory infection. If you're still seeing wheezing, panting, open-mouth breathing, or a blue color to the gums, that is also an indication that an ER visit is needed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Hi there! I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to follow up and see if everything is okay. If you have any updates or if you just want to touch base, please reach out to me. I'm here to help in any way I can. Otherwise, please take care, and thank you for working with me!
Customer
I'm not sure. I gave her soft food this morning and some milk before I left for work.I have an appointment tomorrow morning as she was still drooling this morning... she is getting matted hair, she is just not herself....
If she has matted hair, she may not be grooming. Drooling and failing to groom is often a dental issue. Getting her in is a good idea.How old is she?
Customer
8 years..
It might be worth doing some blood work as well to check for things like hyperthyroidism and diabetes as well as look at her liver and kidneys.
Customer
thank you.
You're welcome! Please reach out if things change and you have follow up questions!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
VTErin
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
VTErin
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.