Glad I found you and hope you can give us a remedy as the vet I have been taking her to just prescribed probiotics for

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Glad I found you and hope you can give us a remedy as the vet I have been taking her to just prescribed probiotics for blood in her stool...I got her from Sheltering Hands in Ocala, Fl. , almost 2 months ago....she was the prettiest Siamese-Persian I had ever seen and is 4 years old....only found out a couple weeks ago that she had been in 8 diferent homes prior to mine....Her stress has been throught the roof.....these have been 6 weeks of cleaning cat pee in various spaces in my home and cleaning several times a day.....using baking soda over night as a urine reducer in the air of the utility room......then, using it to clean with peroxide, tried everythinng I could find on the iternet....I cannot believe I am home nmber 9 for this 4 year old female, from this pet supplier.....I have mopped and cleaned with vinegar and anything else I found on internet....finally found where rubbing alcohol will help clean the vinyl flooring and add some baking soda and scrub it....etc....on and on for 6 weeks.....Now, she has finally settled down, and her stress and anxiety has impruved considerably.....and have to keep her litter box in the kitchen dining room area for now.....but plan to move it a bit at a time towards the utility room......but, her stools started to show improvement....no signs of blood....then, this PM ( stool #2 for today)...iI watched her finish her business...and saw droplets of blood coming from her rectum.....then, took a paper towel and wiped under her tail and it also showed blood......Can you suggest anything to help.....I went to PET-Co and got her probiotics and give every a.m....is the Forti=Flora......I lost my Siamese who was 17 years old, on Oct 4 this year due to a cancerous bloody tumor on her nose.....I love this new kitty and don't want to loose her, too....and I am 74 years old on Medicare and some Vet bills are very high.....Can you suggest what remedies would help? I also picked up the Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup for her and she does eat it....but, have her on Purina Naturals, and Friskies can food....
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the cat seemed more or less thirsty since this started?
Customer: She is drinking more water in the last couple weeks than she was before during the first 4 weeks.
JA: Did the cat eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: She eats what is in her bowl....and is constantly cleaning her fur.....I have brushed her with the pet brush and comb and she loves it....she has trhown up a couple of hair balls ove 2 inches long.....her stress and anxiety are so much better so could her cleaning herself so much cause stomach or intestine disordre?
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Cher Ami
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cannot think of anythig else.....She has been sleeping next to my pillow at night so she seems happier and less stress and anxiety...I don't want to return her to them ..... 8 homes before mine....OUCH!
Answered by Denise Nelson in 7 hours 1 month ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi-Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. I just logged onto the website and saw that you have not received an answer yet - I'm terribly sorry about that! Please be patient with me as I'm typing up replies as I don't type very fast!

I'm sorry Cher Ami has so many issues, but I think that now that she has a loving forever home she likely do better and better for you over time!

The blood in the stool is almost certainly due to stress. Keep her on the FortiFlora for a minimum of 30 days. If your vet has not checked a stool sample for intestinal parasites yet, then drop off a fresh sample at the vet's office just to make sure she doesn't have intestinal parasites.

You could also try mixing a little cooked white rice into the Weruva as this can help calm an irritated digestive system. She could also have one teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) in with her food twice daily.

Hair can cause an upset digestive system in cats. In addition to vomiting hairballs the hair can become incorporated with the stool, which results in a drier, firmer stool that can be uncomfortable for the cat to pass and can cause a little bleeding as it passes out of the rectum. You could give Cher Ami 1/4 teaspoon of food grade coconut oil once daily for 2-3 days to provide lubrication to help her pass any other hairballs that may still be in her digestive tract. Then give her 1/4 teaspoon of the coconut oil once weekly as preventive maintenance for hairballs.

If you think she is still experiencing stress and anxiety you could try giving her 2.5 mg of CBD Oil once daily, which helps to relieve stress and anxiety. Use only a full spectrum CBD Oil that has been tested by an independent 3rd party to guarantee quality. Choose a CBD Oil that is clearly marked as to how many mg are in one ml to make dosing easier.

If none of these things are helping Cher Ami, then talk to your vet about possible inflammatory bowel disease, but I think that as she gets settled in and starts to relax Cher Ami will do just fine for you!

Customer
Thank you, ***** ***** for all the information for Cher Ami's health...She was checked at vet for parasites when I took a stool sample to them and no parasites were found....and, yes, she has had issue with hairballs...throwing up and also in her stool....Found Forti-Flora at PetCo ..is 30 day supply...giving her this every day in her wet food.....it is almost impossible to give her a medicine with a syringe...she has very sharp claws....but, wiil try all your suggestions. I will try the rice and pumpkin in her diet...Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup has pumpkin in it...will add a bit of rice in it....Also, have Laxatone, Tuna flavor, for hairballs, but, she doesn't like anything put in her mouth so, will try her paw.....I really appreciate all your help! Many thanks, *****
You're very welcome, and I hope Cher Ami does well for you!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.