My cat is ascting strange and I think he might have a urinary issue. I noticed earlier today, he hasn't really done this

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat is ascting strange and I think he might have a urinary issue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the cat was acting this way? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: I noticed earlier today, he hasn't really done this much before
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with this behavior?
Customer: I gave him fresh water and fed him some wet food (as opposed to the dry food I usually feed him)
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sherlock, he's 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He's had three erections in the last 24 hours which is very abnormal (he's a neutered cat)
Answered by Denise Nelson in 5 hours 2 months ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi-Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. I just logged onto the website and saw that you have not received an answer yet - I'm truly sorry about that! Please be patient with me as I'm typing up replies as I don't type very fast!

I'm sorry you have been concerned about Sherlock! I agree that he is likely having a urinary issue.

The erections are likely due to discomfort. He may have a bladder infection, crystals in his urine, bladder stones, etc. It's a good sign that Sherlock is eating and drinking, but I am concerned he may be at least partially urinary obstructed. If he becomes completely obstructed and cannot pass urine at all, then it is a true emergency.

You need to get Sherlock into a local vet today to have his bladder palpated for possible obstruction and for a urinalysis. Once the vet determines what all is going on with Sherlock they can then provide proper treatment for him based on the clinical exam findings.

In the meantime completely clean out Sherlock's litter box so you can closely monitor his ability to pass urine. If he gets in his litter box but does not manage to urinate or only produces a few tiny drops, then you need to get him into a local vet right away. Continue encouraging water consumption to help keep his urinary system flushed out. Adding a little tuna juice to his water will hopefully entice him to drink more. I hope Sherlock is all right and that he is feeling better for you soon!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.