He had a urinary obstruction in past. I add about 50 ml to his wet urinary prescription food. I'm wondering if I'm

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He had a urinary obstruction in past. I add about 50 ml to his wet urinary prescription food. I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it. He forms huge litter clumps when he urinates about 3 x day. No straining noted. Urinalysis have consistently shown pH of 5 despite diet changes & recovery from UTIs per culture
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the obstruction. Does he ever go outside?
Customer: Not since his obstruction in July 2022
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Yao
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He gets regular vet care. A complicating problem has been a tail injury that occurred during his hospitalization. When I asked what happened, vet speculated that catheter was taped to his tail(if so, apparently ripped off causes a significant sore that got infected Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Denise Nelson in 5 hours 2 months ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hi
Customer
read & answered
Customer
Hi
Hi-Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. I just logged onto the website and saw that you have not received an answer yet - I'm terribly sorry about that! Please be patient with me as I'm typing up replies as I don't type very fast!

I'm glad to hear Yao is not having any symptoms of urinary obstruction! It is a very good idea to add additional water to the canned food of these cats.

The average 10 pound cat should drink at least 8 ounces of water per day, although most cats don't manage to drink this amount on their own. Cats that are not good water drinkers can be more prone to urinary issues, including obstruction, kidney problems, etc.

50 ml is just under 2 ounces, so I don't think you are overdoing the supplemental water unless Yao is a very good water drinker on his own. You could try measuring out his water once daily and then measure it again 24 hours later to determine how much he is drinking on his own. Do this on several different days so you can determine the average amount Yao drinks per day as he may drink more or less than usual on any specific day.

Depending on Yao's body weight, if he is drinking at least 8 ounces per day on average on his own per 10 pounds of body weight, then adding 2 additional ounces of water to his food could possibly be overdoing it, but there is a good chance that Yao does not drink that much on his own.

If Yao's total daily water intake Including the additional water added to his food is significantly more than 8 ounces per 10 pounds per day, then I would decrease the amount of water you are adding to his food. Otherwise if Yao's total daily water intake is about 8 ounces or less per day, then you may want to have your vet check some bloodwork on Yao to make sure he hasn't developed kidney or liver issues, diabetes, etc, which can also cause cats to urinate large amounts.

My guess would be that Yao is receiving about 2 ounces more water than he has ever drank on his own, which is causing him to create more urine than he has previously. In most cases this is a good thing with a cat that has previously had urinary obstruction as it helps to keep the urinary system flushed out and healthier. I hope this helps and that Yao does well for you!

Customer
I never see him drink water, despite a fountain & water dishes in multiple areas. I felt happy to get 50-100 ml in him. Any ideas for decreasing the acidity of his urine. I'm afraid he is going to develop CA++ stones. He was diagnosed with FIC & there was no evidence for urethral obstruction due to crystals. It appeared to be urethral spasming, stress induced. He was also overweight & had been on dry kibble diet when my neighbor left him with me. He was an outdoor cat that turned in the neighborhood. He would not let you pick him up. I was making a lot of progress with him when he got sick, but he requires a lot of effort that's not sustainable if I ever want to go vacation! It's frustrating to not be able to judge his health since he did not act sick until he was dying with emergency intervention - $10k later, he continues to have lab evidence that all is not well. Is there anything
you can think of to do that I'm not doing to improve urinary pH. Do you think his high CPK is secondary to tail injury vs insult to his bladder. Renal function chems have returned to normal

Thank you for the additional information. How old is Yao?

Customer
Best guess is 5
Customer
He is a skiddish cat.

Thank you. What is his urine pH, and what brand of food is he on?

Customer
There is a completely feral cat that comes around for food that terrorized Yao when we used to let me outside
Customer
Him not me outside - lol

Ideal urine pH for a cat of his age would be 6.8 - 7.2  A good food for him would be c/d  Multicare Stress Urinary Care, which helps with preventing both struvite and calcium oxalate stones, and also helps relieve stress.

Customer
How does it help to relieve stress

It has ingredients that help relieve stress like L-Tryptophan and hydrolyzed casein

Customer
Had him on gabapentin, but weaned him off it. Should I use it as a long term stress aid?

If it seems like he was less anxious and stressed while he was on it, he can take Gabapentin long term

Customer
What are the long term implications of such a low urinary pH?

What is Yao's urine pH?

Customer
5

You're right; he could be more prone to developing calcium oxalate stones, but other than that he should be fine. It is not unusual for a cat to have acidic urine, but is not preferable as they get older

Customer
I need to get some sleep. Long day tomorrow . Thank you. I have a vet that seems competent, but I wanted to know what another vet thought. Yao's hospitalization led to a tail injury & UTI with beta hemolytic strept, so I find it hard to trust a single opinion . Thanks for your time & help!!

You're very welcome, and I hope Yao does well for you!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.